This vernacular structure's close proximity to the road differentiates it from the stylized and setback neighboring structures. Built in approximately 1830, the exterior of the structure changed little since its construction, although the porch, which existed by 1906, is not apparent in an 1860 photo of Burlington. This may have been a rental property as Sidney Barlow, a local merchant, owned the structure in 1869 but lived at 20 South Willard Street (1). Following Barlow's death in 1882, his youngest daughter, Mary S. Johnson, received the property; she and her husband, Henry L. Johnson, moved here and were joined in 1896 by Mary's mother, Mary P. Barlow, who died in 1901 (2). Henry L. Johnson died in 1910, and following Mary S. Johnson's death, Lionel J. and Phyllis A. Leary purchased the property from her estate in 1925 and converted the house into two apartments (3). Proprietors of Leary's Market at 74 King Street, they resided here until selling the property in 1956 to George E. and Ellen P. Saunders, who also lived in one of the apartments (4). The property was sold in 1975 to Robert V. and Barbara K. Schumacher, who sold it to Barry J. and Brooke Mossman two years later; the property was then further developed into a twelve unit apartment complex, which Thomas C. McKeon purchased in 1981 (5).
(1) Clark Schoettle, "Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey-Burlington-South Willard Street (6/27/77)," Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, Photocopy.
(2) Burlington Free Press, 1 June 1882, 3:3; Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, March 24, 1883, vol. 19, p. 310; Burlington City Directory for 1902 (Burlington: L. P. Waite & Co., 1902), 59.
(3) Burlington City and Winooski Directory for 1911 (Burlington: L. P. Waite & Co., 1911), 156; Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, May 4, 1925, vol. 79, p. 205.
(4) Burlington, Winooski, and Essex Junction Directory (Springfield, MA: H. A. Manning Co., 1930), 202; Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, July 16, 1956, vol. 150, p. 581.
(5) Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, September 16, 1975, vol. 233, p. 219; Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, August 9, 1977, vol. 246, p. 393; Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, April 1, 1981, vol. 276, p. 180; Burlington, South Burlington, Essex Junction, and Winooski Directory (Bellows Falls, VT: H. A. Manning Co., 1981), 530; Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, July 29, 1981, vol. 276, p. 631.