146 South Willard

Nabb-Jacobs House, circa 1850s


By Christian C. Carey

This two and a half story Greek Revival house was constructed circa 1850 by captain John D. Jones. The house presents as a gable front house to South Williams Street and was constructed in three successive phases. The earliest structure is located to the western most end of the property. The house is a rectangular volume capped with a moderately sloped gable roof intersected by four symmetrically placed chimney stacks. The west façade, which incorporates the original main entrance to the residence, has a gable end orientation to South Williams Street. This façade is capped with a full pediment and within the tympanum is an elliptical vent. At the second story level the façade is pierced with three six over six sash double hung windows and shutters. The house is constructed of brick and sits atop a stone foundation. The entrance is offset to the northern most edge and is flanked by three quarter sidelights and an entablature made up of Greek Revival moldings. The first story windows are located to the south of the entrance and are symmetrically located below the second story windows. The full pediment is defined with Greek Revival moldings and the base is accented with wide board frieze. The south façade presents to Main Street with an eaves front orientation. The south façade consist of four six over six sash double-hung windows, two at the second story and two directly below at the first level. The corners of the house are articulated as engaged columns and have Greek Revival capitals. The second addition is believed to have been built circa 1900-1920 (1). This addition is also constructed as a brick Greek Revival style. This south façade has six, six over six sash double-hung windows; three at the first level and three aligned at the second level, with shutters. The third addition steps down below the second and is speculated to be built sometime after 1920 (1). This is a wood framed one story structure and sided with painted clapboards. The south façade has a entrance and a six over six sash double hung window.

The house appears on the 1853 map (2) but does not appear on the Ami B Young 1830 map. It was originally built for Captain John Nabb, a friend of Jones (1). The two later additions are speculated to have been built by Prof. Eldridge Jacobs (1). The house is in a good state of preservation and represents the popular style of Greek Revival as well as how these structures adapted overtime.

1. David Blow, Historic Guides to Burlington Neighborhoods. Burlington: Chittenden County Historical Society, 1990.

2. Map: Presdee and Edwards-1853