Mitchell Scholarships support one year of graduate study in any discipline offered at an institution of higher learning in Ireland or Northern Ireland. The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend, and international travel. Normally, 12 Scholarships are awarded each year. Mitchell Scholars must exhibit superior levels of academic achievement, leadership and community service.
To be eligible for the American competition, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 18 but no more than 30 years old
- Recipient of a bachelor's degree before taking up the award
Criteria for Selection
The Selection Committee looks for "persuasive, documented evidence of achievement in three areas: academic, leadership, and community service. Some applicants have impressive academic credentials but lack a credible record of achievement in leadership and service. All three fields are equally important criteria for the Mitchell Scholarship." In addition, successful applicants should have strong preparation and a convincing rationale for the proposed field of graduate study.
Consult UVM's Office of Fellowships Advising for the latest information on Mitchell application and advising rules.
Internal stage: In this first stage, you submit your application to the Honors College two days prior to the UVM deadline and are interviewed soon after by the Fellowships Committee here on campus. This application includes the following elements:
- A current, comprehensive resume, including employment, activities and honors. This need not be limited to one page.
- Personal essay, not more than 1000 words in length, describing "the specific field of interest and the justification for the proposed study in Ireland or Northern Ireland.
- At least five, and no more than eight, letters of recommendation, at least four of which should be from professors.
- An official transcript.
On the basis of that application and interview, the Committee will prepare an official letter of support for nominees.
Final application must be submitted online by the external deadline with additional materials postmarked by the same date.
Final application includes:
- Online application, including personal statement revised to take into account feedback from the UVM committee
- Five-eight letters of recommendation, submitted online by your recommenders
- One original official transcript + 9 copies, for each college or university attended
- Ten copies of professional passport-size picture, signed on back
- One photocopy of birth certificate, passport, or other proof of age and citizenship
Finally, please submit one copy of your application form and personal statement to the Honors College, to be included in your permanent file.
After the Application is Submitted
Twenty finalists will be invited for interviews in Washington D.C. in November. Notification will happen shortly afterward.
For More Information
Visit the Mitchell Scholarship website.
Last modified December 22 2014 03:49 PM