Preview: Reunion & Homecoming Weekend at the Honors College
While Homecoming Weekend has always been a celebratory gathering of the University of Vermont community, this year the weekend (October 14-16) promises to be the most action packed weekend of the year. Homecoming has been paired with Reunion Weekend, bringing many UVM alums back to reconnect with old friends, as well as offering opportunities for UVM students to connect with UVM graduates. When Honors College alumni, parents, supporters and current students converge on Burlington later this month, it's good to remember that there's plenty going on inside and outside of University Heights North.
October is a cool, sunny and absolutely beautiful time of year to experience the fall colors in Vermont. For Homecoming Weekend, UVM will be offering several outdoor activities including scenic cruises on Lake Champlain, a sailing regatta, and several other athletic events.
That said, the Honors College will be offering a few social events and lectures for students, parents and alumni who will be making the trip to Burlington. On Saturday, enjoy coffee with Honors College students, staff and Dean Abu Rizvi (8:30, University Heights North) before heading to the Honors College Alumni Panel (9:30, Lafayette 207). Hear recent Honors College alums share their stories from the working world as well as from graduate and professional school. Then head toward the UVM Fall Festival, which will offer the best of Burlington with plenty of music, food and crafts. The festival will take place between the library and the Davis Center. Later in the afternoon, the Honors College Professional Development Forum will be hosting a panel with several UVM alums to discuss best practices for students who want to connect with alums for information about professional opportunities (3:00 p.m., University Heights North Multipurpose Room). Limited seating is available, so if interested be sure to come early.
For more information on all Homecoming weekend events, visit the official Homecoming Weekend website.
Homecoming Weekend: Honors College Events
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. Honors College Coffee Hour
- University Heights North, Living Room
- Honors College staff, faculty and administration will greet parents and families of Honors College students. Official welcome from Dean Rizvi at 8:45 a.m.
- 9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Honors College Recent Alumni Panel
- Stafford 101
- Honors College Associate Dean Lisa Schnell will facilitate a panel discussion of 5-7 recent UVM Honors College graduates who are pursuing graduate studies or have embarked on careers in public service, the sciences, environment, and the arts. Bios of Homecoming Alumni Panel
- 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. You Can Go Your Own Way: The Honors College Professional Development Forum Panel: Professional Etiquette: Some Do's and Do Not's
- University Heights North, Multipurpose Room
- The panel is a discussion with Honors College students and advanced career UVM alumni on what students should think about as they start making the transition from college to professional culture, and how students can put their best foot forward as they start making connections with UVM alums and others in the professional world. (Limited seating available)
Last modified November 01 2011 04:34 PM