Smalley-Davenport Shop
Forestdale, Vermont

Birthplace of the Electric Motor in 1834

By Prof. Thomas D. Visser
Historic Preservation Program, University of Vermont

Summary of Findings


  1. According to a former owner of the building, Mary Kennedy, a missing or destroyed mid-19th century town record suggested that the building was moved, however the notation apparently did not mention from where it was moved. She also reports that some have suggested that the building may have been moved from the Brandon Iron Works site, but there is no known documentation to support this theory. Mary Kennedy, personal interview, 20 February 1992.

Back to report Table of Contents
To History of the Smalley-Davenport Shop
©1995 UVM Historic Preservation Program
Revised 10/23/95 by Thos. Visser