University of Vermont
Nineteenth Century American Literary Cultures / Professor M.L.Kete
Part 1: Models of reading, writing and culture.
Mon., May 20:
Introduction and visit to Special Collections.
Weds., May 22: Reading due:
Part 2: Transcendentalist Reading
- Chapter Two of New England Literary Cultures by Lawrence Buell
- Introduction to The American Renaissance by F.O.Matthiessen
- Chapter One of The Interpretation of Cultures by Clifford
- "Introduction" and Chapters One through Three of The Archaeology
of Knowledge by Michel Foucault
- Chapter Eight of Reading Becomes a Necessity of Liked: Material and
Cultural life in Rural New England 1780-1835 by William Gilmore
Mon., May 27:
No class: Memorial Day. Re-Schedule.
Weds., May 29:
Mon., June 3:
Part 3: Masterpiece Theater: Creating the American Classic
- "The American Scholar" and
Poet" by R.W.Emerson
- "Reading" from Walden by
- "A Short Essay on Critics" and "Its Position in the Present Time, and
Prospects for the Future" from American Literature by Margaret
Weds., June 5:
Mon., June 10:
Part 4: Re-forming Women Writing
- The Pioneers by James F. Cooper.
- Chapter One and Four of Sensational Designs: The Cultural Work of American
Fiction by Jane Tompkins.
- Chapter ? From The Profession of Authorship in Americ: 1800-1870
by William Charvatt
Weds. June 12:
Mon. June 17.
Part 5: Forming African American Writing
- "Cacoethes Scribendi" by Catherine Maria Sedgewick
- Hobomok by Lydia Maria
- Excerpts from An Appeal in Favor of that Class of Americans Called
Africans by L.M.Child.
Weds. June 19.
Mon. June 24.
Part 6: Reconstruction and the new literary landscapes.
- Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself by
- Chapter Three from Reconstructing Womanhood: The Emergence of the
Afro-American Woman Novelist by Hazel Carby.
Weds. June 26.
by W.D.Howells. (other Howell's information: Howells on the
Introduction and Chapter One of The Social Construction of American
Mon. July 1.
Student presentations of paper proposals and project plans.
Paper Due: July 28.
ENG330 Home Page.
This file can be found at: http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/eng330/