Conversion of Thesis Credit Policy
A graduate student enrolled in a master's degree program with thesis or project, who has enrolled for and performed thesis or project research but subsequently decides to pursue a non-thesis option in the same department or program, may request conversion of thesis or project research credit to independent study credit. Conversion will be permitted under the following conditions:
- The independent study must be:
If the faculty member who supervised the research is unable to oversee the independent study, the Department Chairperson/Graduate Program Coordinator will do so.
- supervised and evaluated by the faculty member who supervised the research, and
- approved by the Department Chairperson/Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Except for writing/reporting and evaluation, the work for the independent study must have been accomplished during the period of enrollment for research, i.e. it cannot be a new project.
- The conversion must occur within four years of enrollment for research.
- The number of credits eligible for conversion will be determined by the faculty member who supervised the research and the Department Chairperson/Graduate Program Coordinator, however, conversion is limited to a maximum of three credit hours.
- A written request for conversion, signed by the student, faculty advisor and Department Chairperson/Graduate Program Coordinator, must be submitted to the Graduate College for approval and processing.