Careers in a Global and Regional Studies Area
Each GRS major (students can choose one of six GRS areas in which to major) comprises a broad range of essential interdisciplinary courses in political science, economics, business, history, literature, foreign language, art, geography, anthropology, and religion.
Graduates from one of our six major areas are prepared to enter exciting careers in:
- Foreign Service
There are numerous fields in our world today that are enhanced by a broad global vision. Many of our graduates strike out for far-flung corners of the world. They have a number of distinct advantages, including language abilities, a strong liberal arts education, and even connections and concrete work opportunities because of a previous study abroad experience or efforts made before they left.
Getting work abroad typically takes careful thought and strategizing, an adventuresome spirit, and extra effort and persistence. Every year, GRS organizes a panel for students interested in work opportunities abroad - stay tuned to this website where we will always announce the date and time of this event.
Whether you are planning a long-term career abroad, or simply looking for a way to spend a few months or a couple of years in a paid job or volunteering abroad, the UVM Career Services office and GRS faculty advisors can offer useful advice. We encourage you to begin thinking early about your post-graduation plans, if only so that you can take full advantage of the amazing resources here on campus that are ready to assist you.
Here are some links to get you started:
- UVM Career Services: Make an appointment with a counselor and peruse their listings of jobs and internships, some of which are international.
- Helpful Online Resources: Compiled by Career Services
- Transitions Abroad: The Transitions Abroad website is an excellent resource for finding work abroad. We recommend that you obtain a copy of their excellent resource book Work Abroad: The Complete Guide to Finding a Job Overseas.
- Network for Living Abroad: Run by expats for expats, this site has a useful discussion on finding work overseas.
- UVM Russian Language and Russian Area Studies Graduates & Careers
Last modified April 16 2010 01:43 PM