GIS at The University of Vermont
Installing ArcGIS Desktop
Using the appropriate instructions below, ArcGIS Desktop can be installed by acquiring media (DVD) or accessing the installer from one of the following sources:
- Media Services at Bailey-Howe Library
- Spatial Analysis Lab (RSENR)
- Download an ISO file (4.5 GB; UVM netID required) and burn your own DVD (which must be kept on campus)
- Download the installer (930 MB; UVM netID required) and run it (please delete the executable file when done)
- Your geospatial technologies course instructor
- Lite touch network installer (faculty/staff only; version might not be the most recent)
ArcGIS 10 Installation Instructions (DVD)
Installation steps using the executable installer (option 4 above) are nearly identical to these steps for using the DVD.
- If you are upgrading, first uninstall the older version of ArcGIS (you can do this from the splash screen after step 2)
- Insert the DVD; if nothing starts automatically, browse to the disc and run ESRI.exe
- Start the version 10.1 install (click "Setup" next to "ArcGIS Desktop")
- Click "Next" half a dozen times (accepting the license agreement and default settings)
- When the install is complete, the ArcGIS Administrator Wizard will display an authorization screen. Choose "ArcInfo (Concurrent Use)" and set the license manager to "arclm.uvm.edu". IMPORTANT: this step will fail if you are not connected to the UVM network (if installing off campus you must be connected via the VPN client in order to communicate with this licesne server).
- If the screen shown in the previous step did not appear (or you need to set the license source at a later date) you can make these selections by running ArcGIS Administrator from the ArcGIS Programs Group.
- Install any Service Packs or Patches that may be applicable (read on....)
ArcGIS Patches and Service Packs
It is generally a good idea to install the latest service pack after installing ESRI software. As of December 2012, the latest service pace for version 10.1 is Service Pack 1. The latest service pack for version 10 is Service Pack 5, which contains fixes from all previous patches for version 10. Service Pack 5 can be installed over other previous patches but does not require that an earlier service pack already be installed. There also might be patches that you want to install, so please check to see what's available for your particular version.
Systems still running version 9.3.1 should have service pack 6. Anything less (older) than that will likely be problematic, and you may be asked to upgrade if you need technical support.
Last modified December 11 2012 10:57 AM