Green LifestyleIn addition to having the opportunity to participate in a wide range of exciting environmental programs, every member of the GreenHouse Community should be committed to pursuing a "Green Lifestyle." The elements of the Green Lifestyle are based on an Ecological Code of Values collectively developed and adopted by members of the community:
As a resident of the 2015-2016 GreenHouse Residential Learning Community I will strive to:
- Practice the 4 Rs, including:
- Rethink: be creative and fun with eco-friendly alternatives
- Reduce: only buying what I really need, minimizing use of disposable items (including shopping bags), sharing items with friends and neighbors, etc.
- Reuse: swapping items with friends and neighbors, saving any “to-go” or food containers you might acquire, buying used, using scrap paper, etc.
- Recycle: following UVM protocols as noted in recycling areas and not contaminating recycling bins with trash and vice versa.
- Practice water and energy conservation and efficiency, such as:
- Mindful water consumption (running water, full loads of laundry, shorter showers, etc.)
- Mindful energy efficiency (using natural light, using efficient appliances, etc.)
- Mindful energy conservation (air-drying clothes, turning off unneeded appliances, turning off lights, etc.)
- Be aware of food choices, such as:
- Eating in dining halls that use real plates and/or ecoware vs. takeout containers
- Using refillable mugs and water bottles and reusable utensils ~ cloth napkins
- Not wasting food ~ composting whatever is not eaten
- Purchasing locally grown foods when off-campus and participating in our CSA program
- Be mindful of transportation choices such as:
- Riding/walking when possible
- Using public transportation (campus shuttle bus, free local buses, etc.)
- Carpooling and using ride share board
- Educate others (family, friends, neighbors, etc.) about these issues: be willing to learn with an open mind
- Take Initiative: Start or take part in any projects that in some way or another practice the values above.
Last modified February 15 2015 09:22 AM