University of Vermont

Office of the General Counsel

What should I do if I receive a request for a student’s education records? Do I have the authority to access these files and forward them to a third party?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulates the privacy of student records. It governs the release of records as well as a student's access to these records. Under FERPA, a student has a right to:

  • Inspect and review his/her education records,
  • Request an amendment to their education records,
  • Limit disclosure of "personally identifiable information” known as directory information,
  • File a complaint with the Department of Education concerning the University’s failure to comply with the Act.

With respect to access by third parties, while a school official, including a member of the faculty, may have access to and obtain a copy of a student's education record for a legitimate educational purpose, ordinarily the student's education record is confidential and cannot be viewed, accessed, or released to third parties without the student's explicit permission.

Any questions concerning the release of student records should be directed to the Office of General Counsel at (802) 656-8585 or

All materials provided on this website, including the contents of linked pages, are provided for general informational purposes only. While we seek to provide links to current and authoritative information, neither UVM nor this office guarantees the accuracy of information accessible online; therefore, this information must not be relied upon as substitute for legal advice from a qualified attorney. Please contact a UVM Office of the General Counsel attorney to obtain current legal advice specifically responsive to your questions.

Last modified November 28 2016 03:10 PM