University of Vermont

Environmental Sciences

Internships, Research, Study Abroad


The Environmental Sciences degree program stresses hands-on experience to test out one's career objectives, and many of our students pursue that in the form of an internship. Well-developed internships and cooperative education programs award academic credit for contracted work experiences. Opportunities exist in Vermont, the larger U.S. and abroad.

What are the ways of participating in an internship?

The three basic ways of completing an internship at UVM is through either a service-learning internship, an academic internship, or a career internship. Learn more about these options through Career Services.

How is time structured for an internship?

Internships may be part-time or full-time. They can be built into your class schedule during the academic year or arranged to take place during the summer months. Obviously, geography factors into the timing of your internship; if you wish to pursue such work in the Burlington area, you can easily work it into the school year.

Will I get paid for an internship?

Given the field and laboratory skills that many ENSC students have, chances are good that one can find a paid opportunity. Typically over 2/3's of our interns have been paid while completing internships.

Do I get course credit for an internship?

Yes, paid or unpaid internships are eligible for credit.  See your advisor to discuss

Is everyone eligible to participate in an internship?

Eligibility varies by College and School.  Consult your advisor if you want to participate in an internship

How do I search for and secure an internship?
  • Outside of the dean's office on the third floor of the Aiken Center, home of the Rubenstein school, exists a job board. Information is posted on this job board including internship announcements and career/job resources. Inside the dean's office students will find publications to assist: directories of environmental employers, internship directories, and more.
  • The Rubenstein School's website contains an employment page that lists several tools for helping all ENSC students find an internship (and full-time jobs). Visit the Job & Internship Exploration Resources page.
  • Several journals exist that specialize in advertising environmental opportunities.
  • If you know of an environmental organization that you wish to work for, you can check their websites directly; most post opportunities there.
  • UVM's Career Services is another source for finding internships. You can make an appointment by calling (802) 656-3450 to learn more about their services in Living/Learning E Building, and you can self-search on Experience, their online database. Learn more about Experience.
  • Please contact Anna Smiles-Becker in the Environmental Sciences Department, 336 Aiken, for additional help in finding internship opportunities.

As always, your academic advisor can help you determine which type of internship and experience may be right for your interests.

Learn more about where environmental sciences majors have interned.


Do undergraduates conduct research in the ENSC program?

Undergraduate research opportunities are often rare in the university world; this is not the case at UVM. Environmental sciences students have incredible opportunities to work with faculty on independent research projects in the laboratory and in the field. As a premiere U.S. environmental program, the department attracts top-notch faculty who are constantly involved in cutting-edge research. Students greatly benefit from this association and have many chances to be involved. Many UVM-research affiliates provide other ways for students to get involved with research.

How do I find a research project to be a part of?

Research projects find students in both the field and laboratory. Funding for research projects is available on a competitive basis through a number of undergraduate research programs such as HELiX (Hughes Endeavor for Life Science Excellence), URECA! (Undergraduate Research Endeavors Competitive Awards), and APLE (Academic Programs for Learning and Engagement).

In addition, programs like the Undergraduate Environmental Biology Mentoring Program (UMEB) emphasizes research and mentoring for minority students interested in environmental biology, while the McNair Scholars Program works with qualified undergraduates to increase the number of first generation, lower income and underrepresented minority students who earn a doctorate.

Learn more about: HELiX, URECA!, APLE, UMEB, or McNair Scholars.

As always, students are strongly encouraged to talk with his/her faculty advisor if interested in being a part of research. Your advisor will have a greater awareness of projects on campus, and will help students identify a project to join.

Learn more about environmental sciences students' past research opportunities.

Study Abroad

Where do I want to study?

The Environmental Sciences program often encourages students interested in studying abroad to first ask themselves the question "Where do I want to study?" From that, programs in many countries can be searched for and selected based on each student's academic needs. UVM students have studied in more than 80 countries on six continents. You can connect with some of these students and learn about their experiences through the Office of International Education's peer advisor program.

How do I research opportunities?

UVM's office of International Education (OIE) is the gateway for most study abroad programs. The office provides administrative services, support and advisement to all UVM students wishing to study in another country. Once you find the program that's right for you, the OIE also assists students in getting the proper visa/immigration work in order. Visit the Office of International Education.

Are there any special ENSC study abroad programs I should consider?

Yes. The UVM exchange program with the University of Western Australia in Perth gives priority to applicants enrolled specifically in the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources. Please contact Marie Vea-Fagnant in 336 Aiken for information and application procedures.

How do I get credit for studying abroad without affecting my graduation timeline?

About 22% of the junior class at UVM studies abroad. As a result, ensuring students get the appropriate credit for such work is a priority to everyone involved: from the college to the Office of International Education (OIE) to the student studying. Students work closely with his/her advisor and the OIE to determine the best timeline and curriculum.

Learn more about where environmental sciences students have studied abroad.

Last modified September 16, 2015

Last modified September 16 2015 04:22 PM