Marion Berry Allbee Award for Excellence in Composition
Allbee Award FAQ
What does the award honor?
The Marion Berry Allbee Awards for Excellence in Composition recognize outstanding nonfiction writing prose writing in University of Vermont English classes. The awards are given through a fund established by Dr. Roger Allbee, UVM College of Medicine, in memory of his wife, UVM class of 1931.
What are the award categories?
For 2017 - 2018 the categories are:
- Outstanding paper by an undergraduate student in English 001, 005, or IHP English courses (ENGS 027 & 028)
- Outstanding paper by an undergraduate student in English 50, 51, or ENGS 53 (nonfiction prose only)
- Outstanding paper by an undergraduate student in English 85, 86, or a 100-level English course
- Outstanding paper by an undergraduate student in a 200-level English Senior Seminar
- Outstanding seminar paper by an MA student in English
Are there further eligibility criteria?
Yes. Your paper needs to be a work of nonfiction prose and to have been written for an English course (whether during the Spring, Summer, or Fall semester) since March 2017.
Can I enter more than one paper?
When is the deadline?
The deadline for our 2017 - 2018 awards is March 1st @ 4:00 pm. However, we welcome your submission any time before that date.
How do I submit a paper?
Bring a hard copy of your paper to the English Department office (400 Old Mill) prior the deadline of 4 pm March 1st, 2018.
We cannot consider your submission unless it is clearly labeled with:
- Your name, telephone number, and email address
- The Allbee category for which you’re submitting it
- The course, professor, and semester in which it was completed
Do I have to be an English major to submit a paper?
All undergraduate students, regardless of major, are eligible to enter the ENGS 001/005, IHP (ENGS 027 & 028), ENGS 50/51, ENGS 85/100-level, and ENGS Senior Seminar categories. Only English graduate students are eligible for the MA student in English category.
Can I revise or edit my paper before submitting it?
Yes! You are welcome to use instructor comments, feedback from a Writing Center tutor, or your own judgement to further revise, edit, and polish your paper before submitting it.
Can I submit creative work?
This award is for outstanding nonfiction prose writing. Creative nonfiction entries will be considered; fiction, drama, and poetry will not.
When will winners be announced?
We announce and celebrate each year's Allbee winners at the English Department's Honors Day, held in late April, and on the English department website. English winners are informed prior to that event and given details about when and where the event will take place. Due to the volume of submissions, we cannot inform individually the students who submitted but did not win.
Thank you for considering an Albee submission, and good luck!
Last modified December 07 2017 02:12 PM