Department of Economics
Faculty - Catalina Vizcarra
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
Area of expertise
Law and economics, institutional economics, development economics, and Latin American economic history.
Contact InformationEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 802-656-0694 Office Location: 332 Old Mill Office Hours: M/R, 10:00-11:00 a.m. or by appt.
Dr. Vizcarra came to the University of Vermont in 2003. She received a bachelor's degree in economics and the equivalent of a J.D. degree in law (egresada de licenciatura) from the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru, and completed her doctorate in economics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2001. Her doctoral dissertation, "Markets and Hierarchies in Late Colonial Spanish America: The Royal Tobacco Monopoly in the Viceroyalty of Peru, 1752-1813," was selected in 2002 as one of the three finalists for the Economic History Association's Gerschenkron Prize for best dissertation in economic history on any area outside of North America. Her current research agenda focuses on the role of natural resources and institutions in Latin American economic development. Before coming to the University of Vermont, she was assistant professor of history at the University of Calgary in Canada.
- "Military Conquest and Sovereign Debt: Chile, Peru and the London Bond Market, 1876-1890" (with Kirsten Wandschneider and Richard Sicotte). Cliometrica, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 293-319, October 2010.
- "War and Foreign Debt Settlement in Early Republican Spanish America." (with Richard Sicotte), Revista de Historia Economica (Journal of Iberian and Latin American Economic History), no. 2, Otono 2009, pp. 247-289, Ano XXVII.
- "Guano, Credible Commitments and Sovereign Debt Repayment in Nineteenth-Century Peru," The Journal of Economic History, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 358-387, June 2009.
- "The Fiscal Impact of the War of the Pacific," (with Richard Sicotte and Kirsten Wandschneider), Cliometrica vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 97-121, June 2009.
- "Bourbon Instervention in the Peruvian Tobacco Industry, 1752-1813." Journal of Latin American Studies, vol. 39, pp. 567-593, August 2007.
Working Papers and Work in Progress
- "From Guano to Grace (and Beyond): The Peruvian Economy, 1840-1914." Book Contract (Manuscript in Prepartion). Instituto de Estudios Peruanos; Lima, Peru.
- "The Mexican American War and Institutional Change in Mexico." (with Richard Sicotte).
- "The Chilean Export Tax on Nitrates, 1880-1935." (with Richard Sicotte and Kirsten Wandschneider).
- "Trade Booms, Trade Busts and Sovereign Debt Repayment in Nineteenth-Century Spanish America."