University of Vermont

The College of Arts and Sciences

Department of Economics

Frequently Asked Questions

The Department of Economics updates the following information once per year. For the most up-to-date information, check the Arts & Sciences website.


A total of 120 hours are required for graduation.

A&S Hours

Students must take at least 96 Arts & Sciences credit hours. The only exception is for students who have an approved cross-college minor. They must take at least 84 Arts & Sciences credit hours.

Major Hours for B.A. Students

No more than 45 hours of credit in major field may be used toward completion of the 120 hours of credit required for graduation.


All students must have a major, minor, and cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 in order to graduate.

Pass/No Pas

Degree program students, not on academic trial, are permitted to take up to six courses (or as many courses as they have semesters remaining for future transfer students) on a pass/no pass basis, beginning in their sophomore year. Courses in the student's major department, either for the major or for the degree, and electives within the distribution requirements of a department may not be taken on a pass/no pass basis. This option may be used without condition for free electives. It also may be used for physical education (activity) courses, whether taken to fulfill a requirement or as electives, and shall not be counted as a part of the six standard courses described above.


After students have completed 77 credit hours, they are required to take a least 30 more credit hours at UVM. However, there are no limit on the number of credit hours transferable as long as the restriction is met. For a student graduating with a minimum 122 credit hours required, at least 30 of their last 45 credit hours must be at UVM. At least 1/2 of the credit hours used toward the major and minor requirements must be taken at UVM.

If you have questions about any of these policies, please contact the Dean's Office at 656-3344.


The Dean's Office suggests that students officially declare their major and minor by the end of the sophomore year. To declare a major in Economics, begin by going to the Registrar's Web Page, Click on Forms. Click on Declare or Change Your Major/Minor/Concentration/College. Click of Arts & Sciences.

Transfer credit will be approved by Transfer Affairs, but will not always be assigned an exact equivalency, i.e., Anth 0XX; BIO 2XX. If a student would like to have such credit apply toward a major or minor requirement, the Dean's Office must receive written approval from the appropriate department. In some departments, an exact equivalency is not necessary but rather a category or subfield distinction is acceptable.

Students who have been placed on academic probation must enroll in all courses for a letter grade. Other conditions include: enrollment in at least 12 credits and earning a semester GPA of at least 2.0 in order to continue at UVM.

A Student who is on academic probation can NOT study abroad.

All students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 in order to receive permission from the Dean's Office to study abroad.

Only eight (8) Military Studies (MSTD and/or ASTU) hours may be applied toward degree requirements, and these are considered non-A&S credits.

If a student is on academic probation and decides to not return to UVM the subsequent semester, upon readmission they will be on academic probation.

Senior "check sheets" are generated for every Arts & Sciences student once 87 credits or more are achieved.

Student Affairs Staff

Dean's Office Student Affairs phone number is 656-3344. Call if you have any questions. Students are seen primarily on a walk-in basis. the office is located in 438 College Street. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily.

Last modified October 19 2016 12:54 PM