Rubenstein Lab Hosts Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology Potluck
End of Year Gathering Celebrates the UVM EEEB Group
- By Yolanda H. Chen Fanslow
The EEEB group (Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology) gathered for a potluck last Friday to celebrate spring and the end of a very successful first year!
We had a great showing last Friday for the spring bbq potluck. The weather was wonderful, the location was spectacular, and the hosts (Rubenstein lab) were superb! As we had guessed, we had far more people show up than the 50 people we were expecting.
Here are some of the highlights from this year:
– Faculty, postdoc, and student participation in talks from 7 different academic units (Biology, Plant Biology, Rubenstein School, Plant and Soil Sciences, Gund Institute, Animal Science, Math and Statistics).
- 39 talks from faculty and students
- 1 professional development forum
- New reading/study groups linking students and researchers across departments (Foundations in Ecology, Practical Computing for biologists)
- And perhaps new collaborations?
– Social events that brought people together (each event 50-100 people):
- September 5, 2014 – UVM Natural History Museum hosted a bbq
- December 5, 2014 – Holiday social hour at ArtsRiot
- May 1, 2015 – Spring bbq potluck, hosted by the Rubenstein Ecosystem Sciences Lab. Pictures from the day can be seen here.