Copying a Course to a New Space
The "Course Copy" function is a fast way to copy content between two existing courses, but bear in mind that there will be some tasks to do after copying the course to repair links and clean the course menu of duplication. Content will be copied to the destination course, but these steps will not remove or overwrite existing content in the destination course.
Steps for Copying a Course
- In the Control Panel of your "source course," select Packages and Utilities, then select Course Copy
- Click Browse to select your "destination course" from the list of your courses.
- Select the check boxes for the content you wish to copy and click Submit. Here are some notes about copying certain tools:
- Copying Assignments: Because Assignments are inextricably linked with the Grade Center, you must copy the content folder (ex: Course Materials, Assignments, Week One, etc.) that contains the Assignment AND you must also check the box for Grade Center Settings and Columns. This will make a duplicate of your current Grade Center columns so you may have to go in and delete some duplicate columns from the Grade Center once the copying is done.
- Copying Tests/Surveys: When you choose to copy tests/surveys from one course to another the tests themselves will copy over (if check box is selected) and be stored in the Control Panel/ Course Tools/ Tests, Surveys, Pools/ Tests or Survey area. However, for students to see them in the course you must re-deploy them. To deploy a test, go to the content area where it should appear to students. With Edit Mode set to "ON" click Create Assessment, then choose Test. You should see your tests listed, (if they were selected when you did the course copy). Select the Test in the Add Test list, then click Submit. On the next page, set the Test Options.
- Copying the Discussion Board: You have two choices: do you want to copy only your Forum “prompts” or do you want to include all posts made by students in the current course? If you choose to copy the Forums only, no student responses will be copied. If you choose to copy the student responses, all authors will be set to anonymous, i.e. no actual students’ names from the original course will be shown.
- Now navigate to your destination course. You may need to refresh the course menu to see your newly copied content. (Click the refresh icon at top of course menu, 2nd from right).
NOTE: Existing links within a course, for instance a link from inside a content area to a test, will break. The tests themselves will copy over (if check box is selected), but will need to be "re-deployed" in their appropriate content areas.
(To re-deploy a test, go to the content area where it should appear to students. With Edit Mode set to "ON" click Create Assessment, then choose Test. You should see your tests listed, if they were selected when you did the course copy. Select the Test in the Add Test list, then click Submit. On the next page, set the Test Options.)