Frank M. Bryan Vermont Scholar Summer Research Award
The Center for Research on Vermont's mission is to encourage and promote Vermont research. To meet this mission, the Center is coordinating the Frank M. Bryan Vermont Scholar Summer Research Award to fund faculty members or independent scholars engaged in Vermont research. The Center will provide a one-time stipend of $5,000 to the selected recipient. (Note: the $5,000 can be used as stipend or for expenses – but is issued in one lump sum and will be subject to taxes).
This funding is open to any faculty member or independent scholar in Vermont. Full-time nine-month faculty will be given preference but all researchers are encouraged to apply.
Preference will be given to proposals that:
- Clearly address a Vermont research topic with sound methodology and potential to publish
- Support a trajectory that projects future related Vermont research
- Add value and are likely to be incorporated into teaching (either through the researcher's own teaching or supporting other educators)
Researchers interested should submit applications electronically by January 19, 2017 to Mary Driscoll
Applications should include:
- Name, contact information, including address and affiliation (if any)
- Summary of proposed research (2-3 pages) which should include a discussion of how the $5,000 will help achieve this research. (Note that it can extend or build on currently funded research, or it can be a new area of inquiry).
- A brief work plan for the period June 1, 2017 - August 15, 2017 that will guide the researcher's summer research activities and approximate hours expected to work.
- Three references of colleagues familiar with your work and one letter of reference.
- Two-page CV or resume
Applications due January 19, 2017.
Selection decision announced by February 2, 2017.
Summer 2017 research conducted
Requirements for Selected Recipient (2017 Recipient)
- Submit a report summarizing completed activities (3-5 pages) by September 30, 2017.
- Present the results of his/her Vermont research at a Center-sponsored Research-in-Progress talk in either fall 2017 or spring 2018.
- Prepare one lecture for VS-52 – Vermont Studies class (fall 2017, spring 2018) if asked.
- Acknowledge the Center in related publications or activities.
- Support Center research activities and Center students as appropriate.
About Frank M. Bryan
Frank M. Bryan retired in 2013 from the University of Vermont as the John G. McCullough Professor of Political Science. Professor Bryan is a noted local scholar, lecturer, author and humorist, having written and co-written over ten books and numerous articles.
About the Frank M. Bryan Vermont Scholar Summer Research Award & Center Endowment Fund
The Frank M. Bryan Vermont Scholar Summer Research Award is made possible by the Center for Research on Vermont Endowment Fund, which provides funding for public forums that share the results of research on Vermont-related topics with a variety of audiences. To contribute to the Center for Research on Vermont Endowment Fund, please contact Richard Watts, Director, The Nolin House, 589 Main Street, Burlington Vermont 05405 or Richard.email@example.com
Selection Committee: Robert Bartlett, Prudence Doherty, Ann Hallowell, Wolfgang Mieder, Margaret Tamulonis, Richard Watts
Special thanks to the donors who made this award possible and Kristin Peterson-Ishaq and Kelly Dutra for their work organizing the endowment fund..
Last modified October 29 2016 08:43 PM