Our Common Ground
The University of Vermont is an educationally purposeful community seeking to prepare students to live in a diverse and changing world. We who work, live, study, teach, do research, conduct business or participate in the University of Vermont are members of this community. As members, we believe in the transforming power of education and agree to help create and foster an environment where we can discover and reach our true potential.
We aspire to be a community that values:
- We respect each other. We listen to each other, encourage each other and care about each other. We are strengthened by our diverse perspectives.
- We value fairness, straightforward conduct, adherence to the facts and sincerity. We acknowledge when things have not turned out the way we had hoped. As stewards of the University of Vermont, we are honest and ethical in all responsibilities entrusted to us.
- We want to be at the forefront of change and believe that the best way to lead is to learn from our successes and mistakes and continue to grow. We are forward-looking and break new ground in addressing important community and societal needs.
- We encourage the open exchange of information and ideas from all quarters of the community. We believe that through collaboration and participation, each of us has an important role in determining the direction and well-being of our community.
- As a just community, we unite against all forms of injustice, including, but not limited to, racism. We reject bigotry, oppression, degradation and harassment, and we challenge injustice toward any member of our community.
- We are personally and collectively responsible for our words and deeds. We stand together to uphold our common ground.
Last modified August 01 2011 01:05 PM