Purchasing Card Frequently Asked Questions
Getting A Card
- Who needs a Purchasing Card in my unit?
- Who can get a Purchasing Card?
- How do I obtain a Purchasing Card?
- How long will it take to get a new card?
- When I apply for a Purchasing Card, will my personal credit history be checked?
Using A Card
- Where can I use a Purchasing Card?
- What are the restrictions on Purchasing Card use?
- Can I obtain a cash advance?
- Can I buy personal items and reimburse the budget?
- What is my transaction limit? Cycle limit?
- When does the cycle begin and end?
- What information do I need to submit for airfare purchases?
I've made the purchase, but...
- A vendor called, and my PurCard was declined. What do I do?
- I lost my receipt. What should I do?
- When will my budget really be charged for these purchases?
- When do I need to reallocate a transaction?
- I was charged sales tax. What am I supposed to do?
- I missed the reallocation period. How do I get these expenses on my budget report to the correct chart string and account?
- Who is the Program Administrator?
- My card is lost or stolen. What should I do?
- I'm leaving UVM. What do I do with my card?
- I'm transferring to a new department within UVM. What do I do with my card? Can I bring it to my new department?
Consider the following:
- Did you or your staff place many low-dollar value orders (less than $2,500.00)?
- Do you make frequent pick-ups at local suppliers?
- Do your suppliers accept Visa® as a means of conducting purchase transactions?
- Do you purchase airfare?
- Do you travel more than once a year?
- Do you hold conferences at off-campus locations?
Any employee of the University (faculty, staff, or paid graduate student) may be issued a Purchasing Card with supervisory approval. PurCards are not issued to temporary employees.
Purchasing Cards are obtained by completing a Cardholder Application, Cardholder Agreement, and Supervisor Form. The application needs to be signed by the appropriate Dean, Director or Chair and forwarded to the Disbursement Center. Cards will be issued only after approved by the Controller's Office and the cardholder has taken the required web-based training.
It generally takes two weeks from the time a card is ordered to the time the Disbursement Center receives it. The application and forms are sent to the Controller's Office for approval. Cards are ordered after the completion of the online training and knowledge assessment. The Disbursement Center will contact the cardholder when the card is received.
No. Since all Purchasing Card transactions are paid by the University, they are not connected to an employee's personal credit history.
The UVM Purchasing Card will generally be accepted by any merchant who accepts Visa® within the authorized Merchant Category Codes (MCC Codes).
- Animal orders
- Capital equipment - $5,000.00 and greater
- Hazardous materials - contact Environmental Safety
- Radioactive orders - contact Radiation Safety
- Items costing greater than $2,500.00
The above listed materials and services may only be ordered through UVM's Purchasing Services, and paid for by the Disbursement Center.
Your Purchasing Card cannot be used for any of the following:
- Cash advances
- Cell phones
- Child care services
- Controlled substances
- Fines, late fees, penalties
- Firearms, ammunition
- Hazardous materials and chemicals
- Parking tickets or travel citations
- Personal Purchases
- Tuition reimbursement
No. The Purchasing Card is for University business purposes only.
Making personal purchases via any University purchasing mechanism
can jeopardize UVM's tax-exempt status with the State of Vermont.
Please indicate the following:
- Name of the traveler
- Business purpose of the trip
- Dates of travel
- Cardholder name
- Credit card number
- Date of attempted transaction
- Name of the vendor
- Dollar amount
Journal entry transactions for the cycle ending the 25th of the
month will be dated the 2nd of the following month. The
transaction will be processed against your chart string when you
have completed your reallocation and submitted the journal for
|Transaction Date||Cycle Date||PeopleSoft Journal Date|
I missed the reallocation period. How do I get these expenses on my budget report to the correct chart string and account?If the transactions have already been charged to your budget and are no longer available to reallocate, a new journal entry will need to be created to transfer the expense to the new chart string or account. The Journal Entry User Guide provides guidelines on how this can be accomplished. firstname.lastname@example.org. PurCard Team.
Contact the Disbursement Center
with an explanation and date of separation. Cards may not be left
for other department members to use and must be shredded.
I'm transferring to a new department within UVM. What do I do with my card? Can I bring it to my new department?
Contact the Disbursement Center
with explanation and date of the change. You will need to apply
for a new card in your new department. The Disbursement Center
must obtain the authorized signatures of the cardholder, new
supervisor, Dean, Director or Chair.
Last modified September 27 2017 10:05 AM