UVM Club Sports is committed to sustainability. In our
quest to be sustainable we are committed to Social, Environmental,
and Economic Sustainability. In planning for the future we
have created a sustainability blueprint in accordance with NIRSAs
Sustainable Communities Guidelines.
Check out our Sustainability
Below you will see our two main environmental initiatives,
Recycled and Apparel and our Carbon Off-Set Initiative.
While sporting goods and uniforms have some limitations, the Club Sports Council last year voted to move to the purchase of sustainable apparel (t-shirts and hoodies). In doing so, Club Sports are committed to purhcasing items that are preferable made from recycled material and made in the USA. Here are a list of vendors who provide such options: VENDORS . If you would like to be added to our list just contact us.
CARBON OFF-SETTING INITIATIVE
UVM Club Sports, due its location, must travel significantly to
participate in the numerous leagues and national competitions we
pride ourselves on taking part in. However, significant travel
contributes to a great amount of Carbon emissions and harm to the
environment. As an institution that prides itself on being
'green', the Club Sports Council has made it one of their top
priorities to become carbon neutral. Funds are raised for
our initiative through our Club Sports Cup events.
Watch the video for more details about our project
UVM Club Sports is proud to announce it has accomplished its
goal of being Carbon Nuetral for three straight years. Partnering
with Native Energy we
have invested primarily in the Green
Dream Farm Methane Reduction Project
- Club Sports Travel over 200,000 miles a year
- Transportation includes Busses, Airplanes, 12-passenger Vans, and smaller personal vehicles
- The total mileage and methods of transportation amount to 140 Tonnes of CO2 Emissions
Club Sports desires to keep our costs down and make our organizations as financially accessible as possible. 2014-15 will see us coordinate two large scale fundraisers to assist clubs in deferring the costs of their operations. We will also be working with the UVM foundation to streamline giving. Stay tuned for more updates on these exciting developments.
We are committed to creating the most inclusive and healthy environment for our club sports participants. We are making several efforts to ensure that our programs create social sustainability:
- We are committed to Hazing Prevention through trainings and education
- Inclusion and creating a welcoming atmosphere is part of our start of year trainings
- We are partnering with LivingWell to hold Yoga and wellness education seminars specifically related to athletes
- We participate in DeStress Central
- Significant efforts are made to be efficient in what we ask of
leaders and only ask for what we truly need from them time wise
Last modified May 29 2014 02:56 PM