BWV 71 Gott ist mein König
Inauguration of the New Town Council.
Poet unknown; PT (Mühlhausen, 1708); Facs: Neumann T, p. 384.
1. Ps. 74:12; 2. Johann Heermann, verse 6 of "O Gott, du frommer Gott," 1630 (Fischer-Tümpel, I, #355), with interpolated aria based on 2. Sam. 19:35 and 37; 3. Dt. 33:25 and Gen. 21:22; 4. Ps. 74:16-17; 6. Ps. 74:19.
4 February 1708, Mühlhausen.
BG 18; NBA I/32.
1. Chorus [Dictum]
God is my Sovereign since ancient days, who all salvation brings which
on earth may be found.
2. Aria [Dictum] (T) and Chorale (S)
3. Chorus [Dictum] (S, A, T, B)
Thine old age be like to thy childhood, and God is with thee in ev'ry
deed thou dost.
4. Arioso [Dictum] (B)
Day and night are thine. Thou makest them both, the sun and the stars,
their own appointed course follow.
5. Aria (A)
With powerful might
6. Chorus [Dictum] (S, A, T, B)
May'st thou to the foe not deliver thy turtledoves' own very spirits.
7. Chorus (S, A, T, B)
This our new government
Joy, health, great victory
1. Emperor (Kaiser) Joseph I (1705-1711).
© Copyright Z. Philip Ambrose