Most basic services provided by the Center for Health & Wellbeing are "covered" if a student has paid the UVM Health Fee—so there is no bill.
Services that are not covered by the Health Fee include lab work, crutches or other orthopedic supplies, immunizations, EKGs, and CHWB psychiatry or travel clinic visits. Current charges for these services are listed here. They can be paid for one of the following ways:
- They are covered by the UVM Student Health Insurance Plan (if the student has purchased this coverage).
- They are paid by the student at the time of the visit (we accept cash, check, or credit card).
- They are charged to the student's UVM account (just like tuition).
- Some combination of the above.
UVM Student Health Insurance Plan (UVM SHIP)
Many services that are NOT covered by the student Health Fee are covered at 100% if the student has insurance coverage from UVM SHIP. This includes lab costs and orthopedic supplies.
UVM Psychiatry is covered at 80% of usual and customary charges, and the remaining 20% is charged to the student or the student's account.
Immunizations and Travel Clinic visits are not covered by the Health Fee or UVM SHIP, and those expenses are charged to the student or the student's account.
Other Health Insurance Plans
While the UVM Health Fee covers basic care, the student—or the student's insurance plan—is financially responsible for any services provided beyond that basic level of care. If a student has insurance coverage other than UVM SHIP, we will not know about a student's level of coverage; this is up to the student to determine.
Some facts for students who have other (non-UVM SHIP) insurance coverage:
- We do not verify coverage or benefits.
- It is the student's responsibility to contact her/his insurance company to see if services are covered by the insurance policy.
- It is also the student's responsibility to see if preauthorization is required prior to the visit.
- The Center for Health & Wellbeing (including Student Health) is not a participating provider for any outside insurance plan.
- We do not bill insurance companies directly.
- We are not responsible for unauthorized or non-covered charges.
- It is the student's responsibility to submit a claim to her/his insurance company once a visit takes place. We are happy to provide a receipt or walkout statement that describes the charges at any time.
- Expenses not covered by the Student Health Fee include UVM Psychiatry visits, UVM Travel Clinic visits, immunizations, orthopedic supplies and lab work.
Information for Medical Students
Medical Students who have questions about health coverage should consult the "Personal Wellness" section of the Medical Student Handbook.
Medical students who require urgent or acute primary medical care while on rotation in Maine, Connecticut, or Florida may be eligible to have a portion of their medical bills paid for by CHWB. Please see the Medical Student Handbook for full details.
Prior to out-of-state rotation, please consult the Contact List provided by the College of Medicine for important information about health care providers in those areas.
Still Have Questions?
See our Billing FAQ or contact us directly.
- For questions about billing, contact the Billing Office at 802-656-8509.
- For questions about UVM health insurance, contact StudentInsurance@uvm.edu or 802-656-0602.
Last modified April 03 2014 05:52 PM