University of Vermont


New Student Information

Immunization FAQ

Immunization Deadlines*

For Fall Semester:
July 15th
For Spring Semester:
February 15th

*Important note: incoming Fall Semester Graduate and international students (Exchange and Global Gateway Program) should WAIT UNTIL AUGUST 1 to submit their Immunization information. All other undergraduates should use the above deadlines.

The University of Vermont's Immunization Requirement has been developed in cooperation with the Vermont State Department of Health. It is intended to protect the health of the UVM community. All students are required to submit TWO immunization forms:

  1. A printed version, completed and signed by your health care provider.
  2. An online/electronic version.

Frequently Asked Questions:


Where do I get the printed UVM Immunization form?

You can download the Immunization History Form here. You can also find new student health requirement information here.

What immunizations are incoming undergraduate students required to provide?

New first year and transfer students are required by the Vermont State Health Department to provide evidence of the following:
  • 1 Tdap/Td
  • 2 MMR vaccines OR...
    • 2 Measles
    • 2 Mumps
    • 2 Rubella
  • 3 Hepatitis B (HBV)
  • 1 Meningococcal conjugate (MCV4) vaccine (only for first year/transfer students living in residence halls)
  • EITHER 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccines OR the date (year) the student had the disease

What if I only have my immunization information in an Immunization Record Card or baby book from my pediatrician?

The information on an authorized medical document such as an immunization card, pediatric record, or document from a previously-attended school is acceptable; however, you should attach it to the UVM printed document and complete the UVM form with the dates and your name/ID.

What if I've had the chicken pox disease (varicella) and have NOT gotten the immunizations?

If you have had chickenpox, you do not need the vaccine. However, a date on a signed UVM or other immunization form or a signed Varicella Disease Form noting that you have had the disease must be submitted along with your other immunizations.

When are Health Forms due?

If you are entering UVM during the Fall semester, Immunization forms (printed and online) are due no later than July 15th, and your online Health History Form should be completed no later than August 15th.

If you are starting at UVM during the Spring term, these deadlines are February 15.

Where do I send/fax/email the documents?

Mail copies (KEEP ORIGINALS) to: UVM Student Health Center, 425 Pearl Street, Burlington, VT 05401. FAX immunizations to: (802) 656-9350--INCLUDE A COVER SHEET. Email scanned copies of immunizations to:

Do I also have to complete online forms?

Yes! In addition to the printed immunization form, there in an ONLINE Immunization Form required, AND an online Health History Form. KEEP A COPY OF YOUR PRINTED IMMUNIZATIONS to help complete the online form, and follow the instructions to complete the online health history form.

Why are both online AND printed forms required?

The online immunization and health history forms are imported to your electronic health record at UVM, as the Center for Health & Wellbeing/Student Health Center no longer maintains paper charts. The printed immunization form is required by the Vermont Health Department as verification of the vaccines required by Vermont law.

Do I need to present my records in English?

Yes. We ask that you provide a translation of any records which are not in English. You may wish to contact your local ministry of health to see if they can provide you with an international vaccination certificate in English.

What if I do not have records available, or they cannot be located?

You may either be re-immunized, or you may choose to have a blood test (titer) to verify immunity against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis, or Varicella.

Can a I get the required vaccines at UVM?

You are required to submit the immunization records BEFORE arriving at UVM—the forms must be submitted for review no later than August 15 for new Fall students, and February 15 for new Spring students. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you get any needed vaccines before arriving at UVM. If, however, you cannot complete a required immunization series, you can arrange to get an immunization at the UVM Student Health Clinic—NOTE: ANY IMMUNIZATIONS WILL BE BILLED TO THE STUDENT'S UVM ACCOUNT. UVM Student Health does not bill private insurances.

What happens if I do not provide the immunization information?

UVM is required to observe the Vermont State Health Law requiring the immunizations, as noted previously. To ensure that your and other students' health is at minimum risk from an outbreak, we require students to provide the information by the deadlines on record. Students who fail to comply with the requirement have a hold placed on their registration, and cannot re-enroll for classes for the second semester until/unless they provide the information required.

What if I have never been immunized due to medical reasons, or due to personal religious beliefs?

Students who have not previously been immunized due to the above reasons may request an exemption from the Vermont State Immunization Requirements. Contact Margaret Johnson to discuss submitting a VT State College Immunization Exemption Form, which must be completed and signed by your health care practitioner. Phone: (802) 656-0602 / Email:

NOTE: Effective 2016, the exemption for philosophic reasons is no longer an option in the State of Vermont. There is no "grandfathering in" of philosophic exemptions from previous years.

What if I have any further questions?

Send an email with any questions to

Last modified May 30 2017 10:54 AM