Department of Chemistry
Required Safety Training for Research-Active Members of the Chemistry Department
- All department members and
undergraduate researchers who
will be conducting laboratory work must
the following on-line safety
- Chemical Safety in the Laboratory
- Laboratory Chemical Waste Disposal
- Laboratory Safety Roles and Responsibilities
- Laboratory Ventilation and Chemical Fume Hoods
- Annual Laboratory Safety Refresher Training (done annually; changes every year, so needs to be completed every year)
- Information about these on-line training sessions can be found on UVM’s Environmental Safety's training page or go directly to their login site to begin a course.
- Session take approximately 10-30 minutes to complete.
- All new research-active department members must attend two classroom training sessions the first fall semester they are present at UVM. These mandatory courses will be offered as a regularly scheduled department seminars.
- Undergraduate students participating in undergraduate research must take these courses the first opportunity they are offered after the student joins a research group.
two courses are:
- Keeping Your Laboratory Safe
- Emergency Response for Lab Workers
- All department members must attend an annual classroom training. This mandatory training will be offered as a regularly scheduled department seminar each spring semester. Training topics for these mandatory sessions will vary from year to year.
- Additional technique-specific training:
- Additional training is required if you need to use a respirator, work with lasers or work in a Biosafety Level 2 laboratory.
- See the Environmental Safety Facility web site or contact them directly if you have any questions about which training sessions are applicable to the research that is being conducted in your laboratory.
- For copies of your training record see: http://esf.uvm.edu/courses/admin_transcripts.phtml (you will need your UVM netid).
- Faculty have access to their students’ training records, but will need the netid of the student they wish to look up.
- Remember, a hardcopy of every person’s training record must be kept in the laboratory safety notebook of every laboratory in which they work.
- For additional questions please contact Environmental Safety at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Last modified August 28 2013 10:00 AM