University of Vermont

The College of Arts and Sciences

Department of Chemistry

Advising in Chemistry


Any student in the College of Arts & Sciences may declare a major in chemistry directly on-line through myUVM. Please contact the department office if you have any questions or have recently declared a chemistry major, and we will assign you a chemistry faculty member advisor.

Students in colleges other than Arts & Sciences should contact us first to define a time to meet with the chair to discuss transferring colleges and being a chemistry major.

What does an advisor do?

Chemistry advisors are your academic liaison. We are approachable, and you should always feel free to contact your advisor by whatever mechanism works best. If you have any problems getting a response from your advisor, please contact the Chair of the Department of Chemistry.

Chemistry faculty are skilled in the coursework and requirements in all of the sciences and will work with you to design coursework that best mets your goals. In addition, you advisor will help enhance your relationship with the university and to meet the general graduation requirements for your degree path. Your advisor can help you select courses. You advisor can explain the organization and policies of the college and help keep you on track towards fulfilling all the requirements needed to graduate.

Your chemistry advisor can help you plan and make possible study abroad and internships. Your advisor can help you plan for your career after graduation, including postgraduate degree programs in the sciences and postgraduate professional degree programs including the medical disciplines.

Last modified December 31 2009 01:49 PM