I take seriously my role in supporting graduate students as they prepare for careers as higher educational and student affairs administrators. Working with both master's degree and doctoral students I strive to complicate their thinking about campus life and ways they can support student learning both inside and outside the classroom.
Areas of ExpertiseEducational Policy; Higher Education; History, Philosophy, Sociology of Education; Leadership; Organizational Development; Social Justice; Student Affairs
- College Students and their Development: Scholarly inquiry and professional service centers on the developmental tasks that are manifest during the college experience. Also included are the campus support services needed to enhance student growth both inside and outside the classroom.
Awards and Recognition
- Jackie M. Gribbons Extraordinary Service Award from College of Education and Social Services: Recognition by the College of Education and Social Services of superior contributions to the University of Vermont (2007)
- Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching Award from University of Vermont: Awarded for excellent classroom instruction at the University of Vermont (2005)
- Annuit Coeptis Award from American College Personnel Association: Recognition by a national professional association of contributions to the student affairs profession (2005)
- American College Personnel Association (ACPA), Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE), National Association for Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA), Vermont School Boards Association (VSBA)
- Ph.D. in Higher Education & Student Affairs Administration from Indiana University
Phone: (802) 656-2030
Office: 201 Mann Hall
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Capstone: ; Controversies of the Academy; Leadership and the Creative Imagination; The (Un) Changing Academy