Doctoral Programs in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Ed.D. Program Elements
Primary Career Intention
- Leadership positions in education (PreK-16), state and local government policy arenas, social service and non-profit organizations, and possibly teaching and research related to practice at the college or university level.
Purpose and Emphasis
- Preparation of professional leaders competent in identifying and solving complex problems.
- Focus on approaches to applied research problems and applications that use quantitative and qualitative or mixed method approaches to address and illuminate problems of practice.
- Part-time study (7 years UVM maximum)
- Master’s degree in related field with prior graduate work characterized by strong academic record.
- Demonstrated three years of successful experience as an administrator, teacher leader, social services leader, or non-profit organization leader with accomplishments related to social change and justice.
- Strong professional writing skills.
Type of Candidate Preparation
- In-depth understandings of systems change, leadership, and policy for high quality leadership.
- Students develop their leadership skills and a deep understanding of research-based leadership strategies.
- Standard Dissertation format with a focus on an applied research project. The candidate will conduct original well-designed research project for informing practice (per Graduate College guidelines). This format reflects theory or knowledge for addressing decision-oriented problems in applied settings.
- Written and oral assessments provide evidence of ability to improve practice based on theory and research as well as demonstration of research competencies.
- Courses develop competencies in applied research skills.
- Research addresses questions of practical importance.
Last modified November 20 2012 04:11 PM