Social Work Professor, Dr. Stanley Witkin is awarded a Senior Specialist Fulbright Award
- By College of Education and Social Services
Professor Stanley L. Witkin has been awarded a Senior Specialist Fulbright Award! This award requires that he spend two weeks in Ireland at University College-Dublin and Trinity College. During this time he will be presenting lectures and seminars and consulting with faculty. This award supports his current research on autoethnography and social construction. Congratulations to our colleague, Dr. Stanley Witkin!
Stanley L Witkin is a professor in the Department of Social Work. He joined the department in 1991 serving as its first permanent Chair until 1998. Professor Witkin holds a B.A. in social welfare from the University of Minnesota and M.S.S.W. and Ph.D. degrees (social welfare) from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He also holds an honorary doctorate in Social Science from the University of Lapland, Finland where he was a Fulbright scholar in 2004. In addition, Professor Witkin has held visiting scholar appointments at the University of Hong Kong, University of York (UK), University of Newcastle (Australia), and Hong Kong Polytechnic University. From 1998 through 2001 Professor Witkin served as Editor-in-Chief of Social Work, the membership journal of the National Association of Social Workers. Professor Witkin had published widely and is a frequent presenter at national and international venues. Examples of recent publications include:
- Witkin, S. L. & Irving, A. (2012). Postmodern perspectives on social justice. In M. Resich (ed). Handbook of Social Justice. Routledge. Forthcoming.
- Witkin, S. L. & Iversen, R. (2012). Contemporary issues in social work. In Catherine Dulmus (ed.) The Profession of Social Work. John Wiley and Sons, in press.
- Witkin, S.L. (ed). (2011). Social Construction and Social Work Practice: Interpretations and Innovations. NY: Columbia University Press.
- Witkin, S.L. (2010). A discourse perspective on evaluation. Culture & Society, 1(1), 109-122.
- Witkin, S. L. & Saleebey, D. (eds). (2007). Social Work Dialogues: Transforming The Canon In Inquiry, Practice, and Education . VA: CSWE Press.
His current projects include an edited book on autoethnography (to be published by Columbia University Press) and a book of essays drawing on social constructionist thought.