Faculty Biography | Tammy Kolbe
Tammy Kolbe, Ed.D.Assistant Professor
499B Waterman Building
Dr. Kolbe’s research focuses on the allocation of educational resources in states, districts and schools, and the economic evaluation of educational policies and programs. Front and center in all her work is an interest in the extent to which education policies, practices and resources succeed or fail in achieving the goals of promoting an equitable, efficient, and adequate educational system for all students. Most recently, her research has focused on three areas: 1) time and learning in schools; 2) policies, practices, and resources that influence district and school efforts to recruit and retain qualified teachers and allocate teacher talent to classrooms where they are most needed; and 3) special education funding and policy. She has consulted with a variety of government and non-profit agencies, and her research has been supported by organizations such as the American Educational Research Association (AERA), U.S. Department of Education, and The Education Law Center.
Areas of Expertise:
Assessment and Evaluation; Educational Finance; Educational Policy
- Kolbe, T. & Strunk, K. (2012) “Economic Incentives as a Strategy for Responding to Teacher Staffing Problems: An Organizational Typology.” Educational Administration Quarterly, 48(5), 779-813.
- Kolbe, T. & Rice, J. (2012). “And They’re Off: Tracking Federal Race to the Top Investments from the Starting Gate.” Educational Policy, 26(1), 185-209.
- Kolbe, T. & O’Reilly, F. (2012). More time in school: A cost analysis of school-based efforts to lengthen the school day. Boston, MA: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- O’Reilly, F. & Kolbe, T. (2011). Where does the money go? Expenditures for the Massachusetts Expanded Learning Time Initiative. Boston, MA: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Kolbe, T. & Partridge, M. (2010). Time and Learning in Schools: A National Profile. Boston, MA: National Center on Time and Learning.
- Rice, J., Roellke, C., Sparks, D., & Kolbe, T. (2009). “Piecing together the teacher policy landscape: Multi-level case study findings from three states.” Teachers College Record, 11(2), 511-546.
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Applied Data Analysis for Decision Making; Economics of Education; Policy to Practice: ; Program Evaluation & Assessment; Reading & Understanding Educational Research; Seminar on Education Policy
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership & Policy Studies from University of Vermont
- M.S. in Policy Analysis & Evaluation from The Pennsylvania State University
- B.A. in Political Science/Public Policy from Kalamazoo College