Faculty Biography | Shawn Datchuk
Shawn Datchuk, Ph.D.Assistant Professor
Shawn completed his doctorate in special education from Pennsylvania State University in 2011. His research interests include learning outcomes of sentence level writing skills for students with disabilities, systematic and explicit instruction, and assessment to aid decision making. Previously, he has served as a special education teacher and director of special education.
Areas of Expertise:
Assessment and Evaluation; Curriculum and Instruction; Literacy and Numeracy; Reading Education and Literacy; Special Education
- Writing Interventions: Research focused on design and evaluation of interventions to improve sentence-level writing skills (e.g., handwriting, spelling, sentence construction) for students with disabilities.
- Datchuk, S. M., & Kubina, R. M., & Mason, L. H. (2015). Effects of Sentence Instruction and Frequency Building to a Performance Criterion on Elementary Aged Students with Behavioral Concerns and EBD. Exceptionality, 23, 34-53 [abstract]
- Mason, L. H., Kubina, R. M., Kostewicz, D., Cramer, A. M., & Datchuk, S. M. (2013). Improving quick writing performance of middle school struggling leaners. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 38, 236-246.
- Datchuk, S. M., & Kubina, R. M. (2013). A review of teaching sentence-level writing skills to students with writing difficulties and learning disabilities. Remedial and Special Education, 34, 180-192.
- Datchuk, S. M., & Kubina, R. M. (2011). Calculating Celeration Value as a Metric for Direction and Degree of Slope in Single-Case Research. Journal of Precision Teaching and Celeration, 23, 3-17.
- Kubina R. M., Kostewicz, D. E., & Datchuk, S. M. (2010). Graph and table use in special education: A review and analysis of the communication of data. Evaluation and Research in Education, 23(2), 105-119.
- Kubina R. M., Kostewicz, D. E., & Datchuk, S. M. (2008). An initial survey of fractional graph and table area in behavioral journals. The Behavior Analyst, 31, 61-66.
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction for Secondary Education; Introduction to Applied Behavior Analysis; Issues Affecting Persons with Disabilities
- Ph.D. in Special Education from Pennsylvania State University
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)