Faculty Biography | Maureen D. Neumann
Maureen D. Neumann, Ph.D.Associate Professor
As a mathematics educator, I have always been interested in transforming mathematics teaching in order to eliminate long-standing disparities in mathematics performance. I believe it is essential to develop mathematics teachers who have a deep understanding of mathematical content and pedagogical content knowledge to enhance student learning. As a researcher in mathematics education, I am interested in how the act of changing one's instruction (i.e., teaching, curriculum, and assessment) manifests itself in the classroom and schools. This line of research can be seen in the following published articles: Developing Teachers' Leadership Knowledge: Pillars for the 'New Reform'; Politics, School Improvement and Social Justice: A Pluralistic View of Teacher Leadership and Teacher Power; Becoming Transformational Leaders: Teachers Providing Professional Development in Mathematics Education; and Claiming The Political: The Forgotten Terrain of Teacher Leadership Knowledge.
Areas of Expertise:
Curriculum and Instruction; Gender Studies; Leadership; Literacy and Numeracy; Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM); Social Justice; Teacher Education
- Neumann, M. D., Jones, L. C., & Webb, P. T. (2012). Claiming the political: The forgotten terrain of teacher leadership knowledge. Action in Teacher Education, 34(1), 1-11.
- Halladay, J., & Neumann, M. D. (2012). Connecting reading comprehension to mathematical problem-solving strategies. The Reading Teacher, 65(7) 471-77.
- Neumann, M. D. (2012). Uncovering the mathematics and cultural significance of Northern Plains Native American Star Quilts. Real World Math. Reston, VA: NCTM (Reprint of the 2003 article) http://www.nctm.org/publications/worlds/articles.aspx?id=31977
- Lathem, S., Neumann, M. D., & Hayden, N. (2011). The socially responsible engineer: Assessing student attitudes of roles and responsibilities. Journal of Engineering Education, 100(3), 444 - 474.
- Jones, L. C., Webb, P. T., & Neumann, M. D. (2008). Claiming the contentious: Literacy teachers as leaders of social justice principles and practices. Issues in Teacher Education, 17, 7-15.
- Neumann, M. D., Jones, L. C., & Webb, P. T. (2007). Developing teachers' leadership knowledge: Pillars for the 'New Reform'. Teaching Education Journal, 18(3), 233-244.
- Neumann, M. D. (2007). Preservice teachers examine gender equity in teaching mathematics. Teaching Children Mathematics, 13, 388-395.
- Neumann, M. D. (2005). Freedom quilts: Mathematics on the Underground Railroad. Teaching Children Mathematics, 11, 316-321.
- Webb, P. T, Neumann, M. D., & Jones, L. C. (2004). Politics, school improvement, and social justice: A pluralistic view of teacher leadership and teacher power. The Educational Forum, 68, 254-262.
- Neumann, M. D. (2003). Uncovering the mathematics and cultural significance of Northern Plains Native American Star Quilts. Mathematics Teaching in Middle School, 8, 230 - 236.
- Neumann, M. D. (2007). Becoming facilitative leaders: Teachers providing professional development in mathematics. British Columbia Educational Leadership Research E-Journal, 9, from http://slc.educ.ubc.ca/eJournal/Issue9/index9.html
- Neumann, M. D. (in press, 2014). Mathematics teaching: Listening, probing, interpreting, and responding to children's thinking. Investigations in Mathematics Learning, 6(3)
- Neumann, M. D. (2013). What’s behind the screen? Adolescent girls learning computer science principles and programming language. Paper presented at the Research on Women on Education Annual Meeting, Las Cruce, NM. (PCJR)
- Neumann, M. D. (2013) Equity Practices of Inservice Elementary School Mathematics Teachers. Paper presented at the American Education Research Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Neumann, M. D. (2012). Teachers Providing Professional Development in Mathematics: Illuminating Acts of Transformational Leadership. Paper presented at the Research on Women on Education Annual Meeting, Coure, D’Alene, ID.
- Neumann, M. D., Lathem, S., & Hayden, N. (2011). Potholes, Bridges, and Skyscrapers: Examining a Civil and Environmental Engineering Program during Curricular Reform. Poster presented at the American Education Research Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Neumann, M. D. (2010) Understanding issues of gender equity in K-6 mathematics teaching. Paper presented at the Research on Women on Education Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA (PCJR)
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Applied Educational Research; Student Teaching Internship; Teaching Mathematics for Meaning
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from University of Washington, Seattle
- M.S. in Applied Mathematics from University of Washington
- M.S. in Mathematics from University of Massachusetts, Lowell
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), American Educational Research Association (AERA), National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)