Faculty Biography | Lawrence Shelton
Associate Professor, Human Development and Family Studies. Co-Principal Investigator, "Supporting Faculty to Teach All Students: A Universal Design Consulting Team Model." US Department of Education Funded Project: UDL@UVM
Areas of Expertise:
Adolescent Development; Family Studies; Gender Studies; Higher Education; Human Development and Identity; Universal Design
- Human Develecology: Develecology is the study of the processes of development of organisms and their relations with their environments, employing a combination of systemic and longitudinal perspectives that include the mutual and reciprocal transactions of organism and context. The focus of develecological analysis is change in both the context and the organism.
Think College, Universal Course Design (Equity and Excellence in Higher Education), Universal Design for Learning, Vermont Family Court Parent Education Program
- Shelton, L. G. . Develecology: An introduction to Bronfenbrenner. Unpublished manuscript, The University of Vermont. [Revised 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011]
- Shelton, L. G. & Edelman, S. W. [2011, Dec.] Better learning by design in higher education: Introduction. Design for All, Vol. 6, No. 12, pp. 20-26. Retrieved from
- Parker, H. B. & Shelton L. G. [2011, Dec.]. Faculty attitudes about disabilities and universal design. Design for All, Vol. 6, No. 12, pp. 64-76. Retrieved from
- Shelton, L. G. & Edelman, S. W. [2011, September 23]. "Collaborative consultation with faculty to promote UDL: Supporting learning success." Invited keynote workshop at annual E-volution conference, University of Wyoming, Laramie.
- Shelton, L. G. & Edelman, S. W. [2011 September 22]."Universal design for learning: An introduction." Invited presentation at annual e-Volution conference, University of Wyoming, Laramie.
- Shelton, L. G., & Edelman, S. W. [2011, July 14]. Collaborative consultation with faculty to promote UDL: Supporting learning success. Workshop presented at the annual conference of the Association for Higher Education and Disabilities, Seattle, WA. [accepted]
- Shelton, L. G. [2011, July 14]. New faculty preparation in teaching, disabilities, and accommodations. Poster presentation at the annual conference of the Association for Higher Education and Disabilities, Seattle, WA. [accepted]
- Edelman, S. W., Shelton, L. G., Mosenthal, J., Parker, H., & Gupta, P. [2011, 29 April]. Universal Design for Learning: Creating a model for faculty development. The University of Vermont experience. Symposium presented at the annual conference of the New England Educational Research Organization, New Bedford, MA. [accepted]
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Advanced Child Development; Boys & Men: Development, Risks & Relationships; Boys and Men: Development, Risks, and Relationships; Family Context of Human Development; Field Experience; Human Development; Parenting Through Separation, Divorce, and Remarriage; Social Context of Human Development; The Family Context of Human Development; The Family Ecosystem; The Social Context of Human Development
- Ph.D. in Child Psychology from University of Minnesota
- M.A. in Child Psychology from University of Minnesota
Awards & Honors
- John Dewey Educator's Award from College of Education and Social Services: For Excellence in Teaching (2009)
Licensure or Certifications
- Licensed Practicing Psychologist (Vermont; No. 97; Inactive)
- American Psychological Association (APA), Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD), National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), National Council on Family Relations (NCFR), Society for Research on Adolescence (SRA), Society for Research on Child Development (SRCD)