Faculty Biography | Kieran M. Killeen
Kieran M. Killeen, Ph.D.Associate Professor
445 Waterman Hall
Dr. Killeen is a former special education teacher from Louisiana and participant in the Teach For America national teacher corps. His recent publications appear in the Journal of Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, Educational Policy, Education and Urban Society, Peabody Journal of Education, and the Journal of Education Finance. As well, he has published reports on New York State's school district reform for the Brookings Institution and the Education Finance Research Consortium. His current research interests focus upon highly transient or mobile school children, with research projects underway in Minnesota, New York State and Vermont. Dr. Killeen holds a Ph.D. and M.S. in the Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education and a M.R.P. in Regional Planning from Cornell University.
Areas of Expertise:
Educational Finance; Educational Policy; Leadership; Research Methods; Rural Studies; Student Mobility
- Schafft, K.A., Killeen, K., & Morrissey, J. (In Press). The challenges of student transiency for US rural schools and communities in the era of No Child Left Behind. In Jackson, A. & Schafft, K.A. (Eds.), Rural education for the twenty-first century: Identity, place, and community in a globalizing world. University Park, PA: Penn State University Press (Rural Studies Series).
- Brewer, D. & Killeen, K.M. Organizing Effective Educational Accountability: The Case of Oklahoma. Oklahoma Business and Education Coalition. [abstract]
- Killeen, K. M, & Schafft, K. (2008). The Organizational and Fiscal Implications of Transient Student Populations. Handbook of Research in Education Finance and Policy, Helen Ladd and Ted Fiske (eds.).
- Eom, T.H & Killeen, K.M. (2007) Reconciling State Aid and Property Tax Relief for Urban Schools: Birthing a New STAR in New York State. Education and Urban Society.
- Killeen, K. (2007). How the Media Misleads the Story of School Consumerism: A Perspective from School Finance. Peabody Journal of Education.
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Adv. Seminar in Education Policy; Critical incident analysis; School and Society; Sociology of Education
- Ph.D. in Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education from Cornell University
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)