Faculty Biography | Judith L. Kaplan
Judith L. Kaplan, M.A.Lecturer
Judy has more than 35 years of experience teaching as a library media specialist in K-12 schools in Massachusetts and Vermont. She specialized in direct service to students and faculty in areas of literacy instruction, information literacy, collection development, and integrated curriculum. A member of American Association of School Librarians, and Vermont School Library Association, she has presented at national and state conferences on topics that focused on collaboration with classroom teachers in developing and teaching standards based curriculum. In 2007, Judy was appointed Coordinator of the School Library Media Studies Sequence, a concentration strand within the UVM M.Ed. Curriculum & Instruction Program. She has taught in the sequence since 2001. With an interest in adult learners and distance education, she has developed online courses that examine 21st Century issues in the field of library media for professional educators.
Areas of Expertise:
Adult Learning; Collaboration; Curriculum and Instruction; Literacy and Numeracy; Media Literacy; Multiculturalism; Teacher Education; Technology and Learning; Universal Design
- Kaplan, J. & Ballard, S. (2012) Voyage on the SS Library Leadership: collaboration in teaching and learning at the University of Vermont. Knowledge Quest, 40:2, 14-18.
- Brew, L. & Kaplan, J. (2012) A program-based approach to developing and implementing blended instruction: The University of Vermont school library media studies sequence. In Panagiotes S. Anastasioties (Ed)., Blended Learning Environments for Adults: Evaluations and Frameworks (175-195). Hersey, Pa: IGI Global.
- Kaplan, J. (Ed). (1997-1999) Picturing our past, Vols. I-III. Essex, VT: Essex Town School District. [abstract]
- EDLI 200, The Literacy Connection for 21st Century Schools (Fall 2013)
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Children's Literature and Literacy; Curriculum Concepts/Planning Develop; Information Services and Resources for School Library Media Centers; Managing School Library Media Centers; School Library Leadership for 21st Century SLMS; The Literacy Connection for 21st Century Schools
- M.A. in Cultural History and Museology from University of Vermont
Licensure or Certifications
- Vermont Educator License, Level II, 7-12 English
- Vermont Educator License, Level II, 7-12 Social Studies
- Vermont Educator License, Level II, Pre-K-12 Library Media
- National Education Association (NEA)