Faculty Biography | George Leibowitz
George Leibowitz, Ph.D.Associate Professor
443 Waterman Building
George Stuart Leibowitz, Ph.D., LICSW is Associate Professor at the University of Vermont Department of Social Work and teaches courses in social theory, mental health, substance abuse, policy, and practice. His clinical practice experience involves interventions with youth, and conducting mental health and psychosexual evaluations in juvenile justice settings. His consulting, training, and research interests include co-occurring disorders and trauma and dissociation among adolescents, and the assessment and treatment of sexually abusive youth and adult offenders, restorative justice, family-based interventions, and international social work, with ongoing collaborative projects on mental health and sexual abuse in India and Scotland.
Areas of Expertise:
Addictions/Substance Abuse; Adolescent Development; Assessment and Evaluation; Child and Family Welfare; Criminal Justice; Mental Health; Psychology; Race and Racism; Research Methods; Social Theory; Social Welfare
- Marini, V., Leibowitz, G.S., Burton, D.L., & Stickle, T.R (2013). Victimization, substance use, and sexual aggression in male adolescent sexual offenders. Criminal Justice & Behavior (20) 10, 1-15. DOI: 10.1177/0093854813507567 [abstract]
- Leibowitz, G.S., Burton, D.L., & Howard, A. (2012). Part II: Differences between sexually victimized and nonsexually victimized adolescent sexual abusers and delinquent youth: Further group comparisons of developmental antecedents and behavioral challenges. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 21, 315-326.
- Leibowitz. G.S. (2012). Correlates of modus operandi (coercion and force) among male sexually victimized adolescent sexual abusers: An exploratory study. Journal of Forensic Social Work, 2, 94-107.
- Burton D.L., Leibowitz, G. S., Booxbaum, A., & Howard, A. (2011). Comparison by crime type of juvenile delinquents on pornography exposure: The absence of relationships between exposure to pornography and sexual offense characteristics. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 6, 121-129. [abstract]
- Leibowitz, G.S., Laser, J.A., Burton, D.L. (2011). Exploring the relationships between dissociation, victimization, and juvenile sexual offending. Journal of Trauma and Dissociation, 12 (1), 38-52. [abstract]
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Addressing Substance Abuse in Social Work Practice; Assessment in Social Work; Child Abuse and Neglect; Social Work Practice in India; Theoretical Foundations of Human Behavior in the Social Environment
- Ph.D. in Social Work from University of Denver
- M.S.W. in Social Work from University of Denver
Licensure or Certifications
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, State of Vermont
- Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers (ATSA), National Association of Social Workers (NASW), Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR)