Faculty Biography | Gale Burford
Gale Burford, Ph.D.Professor
441 Waterman Bld.
Areas of Expertise:
Child and Family Welfare; Collaboration; Criminal Justice; Domestic Violence or Crisis Intervention; Restorative Justice
Child Welfare Training Partnership, Vermont Child Welfare Training Partnership
- Burford, G. (2013). Family group conferences in youth justice and child welfare in Vermont. In K. S. van Wormer & L. Walker (Eds.), Restorative Justice Today: Practical applications (pp. 81-92). Sage.
- Holloway, A., & Burford, G. (2013). "Hate left me that day": Victim offender dialogue in Vermont. In K. S. van Wormer & L. Walker (Eds.), Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications (pp. 145-149). Sage.
- Burford, G., & Pennell, J. (In Press). Taking a fresh look: Fathers and family violence. In A. Hayden, L. Gelsthorpe, V. Kingi, & A. Morris (Eds.), A Restorative Approach to Family Violence: Changing Tack. Surrey, UK: Ashgate.
- Connolly, M., Burford, G., Morris, K., Pennell, J. (Forthcoming -- Under contract). Family Engagement and Participation. Houndmills, Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Humphrey, J. A., Burford, G., & Dye, M. H. (2012). A longitudinal analysis of reparative probation and recidivism. Criminal Justice Studies, 25(2), 117-130.
- Burford, G. (2011). Numbers, stories, questions: Writing the family engagement research script for the next decade. Plenary Presentation at 1st Canadian Conference for Family Group Conferencing: Honouring the Circle, Connections and Wisdom. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, September 27, Doubletree International Hotel.
- Burford, G., & Pennell, J. (2011, March). Family engagement in context: Evaluation considerations. In symposium, chaired by J. Fluke, with co-panelists D. Baumann & K. Hodges. Child welfare and children’s mental health decision making, 24th Annual Children’s Mental Health Research and Policy Conference, Tampa, FL
- Burford, G. Lavoro con le famiglie e rispetto dei diritti: implicazioni teoriche e operative (Family group decision making: Background and implications for a rights-based, evidence-informed practice in child care and protection). Keynote address at 3° Convegno internazionale sulla Qualità del Welfare La tutela dei Minori Buone: Pratiche e innovazioni, November 12. 2010, Palazzo dei Congressi di Riva del Garda, Italy
- Burford, G. (2010). Family Group Conferencing-International and local perspectives. Keynote address at Kinship Care Forum: Supporting Kinship Families. Clocktower Centre, Moonee Ponds, Melbourne, Australia. Hosted by the Office of the Commissioner of Child Safety, Victoria, Australia, in cooperation with the Department of Health Services and Grandparents Victoria.
- Ph.D. in Sociology, Social Policy, Social Work from University of Stirling, Scotland
- M.S.W. in Social Work from University of Washington
- B.A. in Sociology from St. Martin's University
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)