Faculty Biography | Gale Burford
Gale Burford, Ph.D.Professor Emeritus
441 Waterman Bld.
Areas of Expertise:
Child and Family Welfare; Collaboration; Criminal Justice; Domestic Violence or Crisis Intervention; Restorative Justice
- Burford, G., & Gallagher, S. (2015). Teen Experiences of Exclusion, Inclusion, and Participation in Child Protection and Youth Justice in Vermont. In T. Gal & B. Duramy (Eds.), International Perspectives and Empirical Findings on Child Participation: From Social Exclusion to Child-Inclusive Policies. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Gallagher, S., & Burford, G. (In Press). Finding Our Way Back Home After Being a Child of the State. In T. Garfat, & L. Fulcher (Eds), Child and Youth Care Practice with Families. Cape Town: CYC-Net Press.
- Burford, G., & Pennell, J. (2014). Taking a fresh look: Fathers and family violence. In A. Hayden, L. Gelsthorpe, V. Kingi, & A. Morris (Eds.), A Restorative Approach to Family Violence: Changing Tack (pp. 169-183). Surrey, UK: Ashgate.
- Burford, G. (2013). Family group conferences in youth justice and child welfare in Vermont. In K. S. van Wormer & L. Walker (Eds.), Restorative Justice Today: Practical applications (pp. 81-92). Sage.
- Holloway, A., & Burford, G. (2013). "Hate left me that day": Victim offender dialogue in Vermont. In K. S. van Wormer & L. Walker (Eds.), Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications (pp. 145-149). Sage.
- Connolly, M., Burford, G., Morris, K., Pennell, J. (Forthcoming -- Under contract). Family Engagement and Participation. Houndmills, Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Humphrey, J. A., Burford, G., & Dye, M. H. (2012). A longitudinal analysis of reparative probation and recidivism. Criminal Justice Studies, 25(2), 117-130.
- Burford, G., Pennell, J., & MacLeod, S. (2012). Manual Para Coordinadores, Coordinadoras Y Comunidades: Organización Y Práctica De La Toma De Decisiones De Grupos Familiares. Revisión para Guatemala. http://faculty.chass.ncsu.edu/pennell/fgdm/manual/index.htm
- Burford, G., Pennell, J., & Edwards, M. (2011). Family team meetings as principled advocacy. Journal of Public Child Welfare, 5(2/3): 318-344.
- Pennell, J., Burford, G., Morris, K., & Connolly, M.(Eds.) (2011). Child Welfare. Special Issue Taking Child and Family Rights Seriously: Family Engagement and Its Evidence in Child Welfare.
- Pennell, J., Edwards, M., & Burford, G. (2010). Expedited family group engagement and child permanency. Children and Youth Services Review, 37(7), 1012 - 1019.
- Burford, G. Lavoro con le famiglie e rispetto dei diritti: implicazioni teoriche e operative (Family group decision making: Background and implications for a rights-based, evidence-informed practice in child care and protection -- Published Proceedings). Keynote address at 3 Convegno internazionale sulla Qualita del Welfare La tutela dei Minori Buone: Pratiche e innovazioni, November 12. 2010, Palazzo dei Congressi di Riva del Garda, Italy.
- Morris, K., & Burford, G. (2009). Family decision making: New spaces for participation and resistance. In M. Barnes & D. Prior, D. (Eds). Subversive Citizens: Power, agency and resistance in public services (pp. 129-135). . Bristol, UK: The Policy Press.
- Burford, G. (2009). Who's regulating whom? Challenges to families looking after their children. Communities, Children and Families Australia, 4(1), 22-28.
- Burford, G. (2009). Editorial for Special Issue on Youth Justice. Social Work Now, 42, 2-4.
- Burford, G., Connolly, M., Morris, K., & Pennell, J. (2009, February). Family-Engagement and Participation. Strategies in Child Welfare: International Review: Available at: http://www.americanhumane.org/protecting-children/programs/family-group-decision-making/re_annotated_bibliography/
- Pennell, J., & Burford, G. (2008). Principled diffusion of family group conferencing in Canadian child welfare: Introduction to Special Issue on Canada. Protecting Children, 23(4), 3-8.
- Morris, K., & Burford, G. (2007). Working with children's existing networks â€“ Building better opportunities? Social Policy & Society, 6(2), 1-9.
- Burford, G., Gallagher, S., Leibowitz, G., & Robinson, S. (2007, November). Report and recommendations to the legislature. Act 77 (H.148): An Act relating to the child abuse registry and sex offender registry requirements. Waterbury, VT: Department for Children and Families
- Morris, K., Hughes, N., Clarke, H., Mason, P., Burford, G., Galvani, S., Tew, J., Lewis, A., & Becker, S. (2007). Whole Family Approaches: A Literature Review. Social Exclusion Task Force, EU/Cabinet Office, Admiralty Arch, The Mall, London, UK. http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/upload/assets/www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/social_exclusion_task_force/think_families/think_family_report.pdf
- Burford, G., & Fulcher, L. (2006). Resident group influences on team functioning. In L. Fulcher & F. Ainsworth (Eds.), Group care practice with children and young people revisited, (chapter 8). The Haworth Press.
- Humphrey, J., Burford, G., & Huey, M. P. (2006, November). Reparative vs. standard probation: Community justice outcomes. University of New Hampshire, National Institute of Justice, U. S. Department of Justice Grant No. 2000IJCX0033.
- Edwards, M., Tinworth, K., Burford, G., & Pennell, J. (2006, November). Family team meeting (FTM) process, outcome, and impact evaluation: Phase II. Englewood, CO: American Humane Association.
- Burford, G. (2005). Families: Their roles as architects of civil society and social inclusion. Practice: A Journal of the British Association of Social Workers, 17(2), 79-89.
- Burford, G. (2005). Family group conferences in the youth justice and the child welfare systems. In J. Pennell & G. Anderson (Eds.), Widening the circle: The practice and evaluation of family group conferencing with children, young persons and their families (pp. 203-220). Washington, DC: NASW Press
- Burford, G., Pennell, J., & MacLeod, S. (2005). Family group decision making: "It's just good social work practice". In B. R. Compton, B. Galaway, B. .R. Cournoyer (Eds.), Social work processes 7th ed. (pp. 416-421). Belmont, CA : Brooks/Cole-Wadsworth.
- Edwards, M., Tinworth, K., Burford, G., Fluke, J., & Pennell, J. (2005, October). Preliminary report on family team meeting (FTM) process, outcome, and impact evaluation: Evaluation of Washington, DC Child, Family Service Agency use of family team meetings. http://www.americanhumane.org/site/DocServer/FTM_Report_111605.pdf?docID=3401
- Nixon, P., Burford, G., Quinn, A. with Edelbaum, J. (2005, May). A survey of international practices, policy & research on family group conferencing and related practices. http://www.americanhumane.org/site/DocServer/FGDM_www_survey.pdf?docID=2841
- Burford, G., Grossman, N. L., Turner, L. V., with Mukaire, P. E., Eisner, S. L., & Sheftman, E. A. (2005, July). The Chittenden county family treatment court process evaluation. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Department of Social Work.
- Burford, G., Grossman, N. L., Turner, L. V., with Mukaire, P. E., Eisner, S. L., & Sheftman, E. A. (2005, July). The Chittenden adult drug court process evaluation. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Department of Social Work.
- Burford, G., & Adams, P. (2004). Restorative justice, responsive regulation and social work. Journal of Sociology & Social Welfare, 31(1), 7-26.
- Burford, G. (2004). Steun van de gemeenschap en steun van een professional: wat helpt wanneer? (Community care and professional care: What helps when?) In M. Bruning & H. Baartman (Eds.), Van je familie moet je het hebben: Nieuwe perspectieven in de jeugdzorg en het jeugdstrafrecht (pp. 13-37). Amsterdam, NL: B. V. Uitgeverij SWP
- Burford, G., & Pennell, J. (2004). From agency client to community-based consumer: The family group conference as a consumer-led group in child welfare. In C. Garvin, L. Gutierrez, & Galinsky, M. (Eds.), Handbook of social work with groups (pp. 415-431). New York: Guilford Publications.
- Merkel-Holguin, L., Nixon, P., & Burford, G. (2003). Learning with families: A synopsis of FGDM research and evaluation in child welfare. Protecting Children, 18(1-2), 2-11.
- Merkel-Holguin, L., Nixon, P., & Burford, G. (2003). Epilogue: Challenges and future directions in FGDM research and evaluation. Protecting Children, 18(1-2), 133-135.
- Pennell, J., & Burford, G. (2003). Family group decision making: After the conference-Progress in resolving violence and promoting well-being. Protecting Children, 18(1-2), 108-109.
- Pennell, J., & Burford, G. (2002). Feminist praxis: Making family group conferencing work. In H. Strang & J. Braithwaite (Eds.), Restorative justice and family violence (pp. 108-127). Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- Comerford, S., & Burford, G. (2002, March). Community by community: Strengthening Vermont's youth justice system through collaboration. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Department of Social Work.
- Burford, G., & Hudson, J. (2001). Re-calling justice. Contemporary Justice Review, 4(3-4), 259-266.
- Trocmé, N. MacLaurin, B. Fallon, B. Daciuk, J. Billingsley, D. Tourigny, M., Mayer, M., Wright, J. Barter, K., Burford, G., Hornick, J., Sullivan, R., & McKenzie, B. (2001, January). Canadian Incidence Study of Reported Child Abuse and Neglect: Final Report. Ottawa: Health Canada.
- Burford, G. (2000). Advancing innovations: Family group decision making as community-centred child and family work. Protecting Children, 16(3), 4-20.
- Pennell, J., & Burford, G. (2000). Family group decision making: Protecting children and women. Child Welfare, 79(2), 131-158.
- Burford, G., & Hudson, J. (Eds.). (2000). Family group conferencing: New directions in community-centred child and family practice. New York: Aldine de Gruyter/Transaction Pub.
- Burford, G. (2011). Numbers, stories, questions: Writing the family engagement research script for the next decade. Plenary Presentation at 1st Canadian Conference for Family Group Conferencing: Honouring the Circle, Connections and Wisdom. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, September 27, Doubletree International Hotel.
- Burford, G., & Pennell, J. (2011, March). Family engagement in context: Evaluation considerations. In symposium, chaired by J. Fluke, with co-panelists D. Baumann & K. Hodges. Child welfare and children’s mental health decision making, 24th Annual Children’s Mental Health Research and Policy Conference, Tampa, FL
- Burford, G. Lavoro con le famiglie e rispetto dei diritti: implicazioni teoriche e operative (Family group decision making: Background and implications for a rights-based, evidence-informed practice in child care and protection). Keynote address at 3° Convegno internazionale sulla Qualità del Welfare La tutela dei Minori Buone: Pratiche e innovazioni, November 12. 2010, Palazzo dei Congressi di Riva del Garda, Italy
- Burford, G. (2010). Family Group Conferencing-International and local perspectives. Keynote address at Kinship Care Forum: Supporting Kinship Families. Clocktower Centre, Moonee Ponds, Melbourne, Australia. Hosted by the Office of the Commissioner of Child Safety, Victoria, Australia, in cooperation with the Department of Health Services and Grandparents Victoria.
- Ph.D. in Sociology, Social Policy, Social Work from University of Stirling, Scotland
- M.S.W. in Social Work from University of Washington
- B.A. in Sociology from St. Martin's University
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)