Faculty Biography | Declan A. Connolly
Dr. Connolly is a Professor of Physical Education & Exercise Science at the UVM where he also directs the Human Performance Lab. Dr. Connolly is a Nationally and Internationally recognized exercise physiologist with over 300 articles in areas of sports performance, muscle adaptation, performance nutrition, training programs, and injury prevention. He has 2 books,"Basic and Applied Kinesiology" and "the Heart Rate Training Bible''. He is a past President of the New England American College of Sports Medicine. He is Physiology Section Editor of Research Quarterly for Sports & Exercise, a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, and a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist.He is also the written certification director for Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association. He has consulted with teams from NHL, NFL, England Soccer and NIKE running. He currently consults with a number of businesses in product development and promotion.
Areas of Expertise:
Adolescent Development; Aging/Gerontology; Assessment and Evaluation; Research Methods
- Exercise & Sport: Widely knowledgeable in areas of exercise program development, sports performance and conditioning, performance nutrition.
- Connolly DAJ. (2012) Basic and Applied Sports Kinesiology. McGraw Hill
- Sickle Cell Trait: Practical Considerations in managing ‘at risk’ athletes! Performance Training Journal: Vol 11(1) Feb, 2012 [abstract]
- Connolly, D. & Benson R. (2011) The Heart Rate Training Bible. Human Kinetics.
- Developing Concurrent Mobility and Strength in Ski Training & Conditioning 'www.snocountry.com'
- Connolly DAJ, Padilla-Zakour O, Mc Hugh MP. The efficacy of tart cherry juice in treating the symptoms of delayed onset muscle soreness. British Journal of Sports Medicine: l 40 (8), 679-683.
- Connolly, D. Recovery From Exercise: The Holy Grail of Exercise Science: The Role of Cherries in Muscle Functionpresented at the University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
- Connolly, D. Recovery From Exercise: The Holy Grail of Exercise Science: The Role of Cherries in Muscle Functionpresented at the Danish Horticultural Society Annual Growers Conference
- Connolly, D. USOC: Preventing Sudden Death in Sport by Addressing Strength and Conditioning Sessions Task Force presented at United States Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, Boulder, CO
- Connolly, D. Agility Acquisition and Development in Elite Junior Skiers presented at the Eastern US Ski Team Annual Development Clinic, Bethel, ME
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Exercise Physiology; Exercise Prescription for Sport, Health, Fitness & Performance; Kinesiology; Philosophies of Coaching; Science of Strength Training & Conditioning
- Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Biochemistry from Oregon State University, Corvallis
- M.S. in Exercise Science from University of Rhode Island
- M.Ed. in Physical Education from University of Ulster
Awards & Honors
- 2009: Received Research service award from American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. from : (2009)
- 2007: Nominee for National Strength & Conditioning Association “Educator of the Year’ from : (2007)
- 2006: Received “NSCA Award of Appreciation” for services in promotion of certification standards, by National Strength and Conditioning Association. from : (2006)
- 2006: Recertified with Recognition and Distinction by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. from : (2006)
Licensure or Certifications
- Licensed Physical Educator
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)