Faculty Biography | Barri Tinkler
Barri Tinkler, Ph.D.Assistant Professor
Dr. Barri Tinkler joined the faculty of the secondary program in the fall of 2009. She has teaching experience at the K-12 level as a Peace Corps volunteer in Papua New Guinea and as a social studies teacher at Stillwater Junior High School. Her research has focused on the impact of service-learning on preservice teachers and preservice teacher beliefs about teaching social studies.
Areas of Expertise:
Curriculum and Instruction; History, Philosophy, Sociology of Education; Multiculturalism; Research Methods; Social Justice; Teacher Education
Brown's Response to Improving Teacher Education (BRITE)
- hannah, c.l., Tinkler, B., & Miller, E. (2011). Helping Teacher Candidates Develop a Critical Perspective in a Foundations Course: A Freirian Look at How Teacher Candidates Interpret Their Service-Learning Experiences. In B. Porfilio & H. Hickman (Eds.) Critical-Service Learning as a Revolutionary Pedagogy: An International Project of Student Agency in Action, (pp. 201-219). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Whitcomb, J. & Tinkler, B. (2011) Establishing Dialogues: Moral Reflection Within On-Line, Threaded Case Discussions. Action in Teacher Education, 33, 3, 265-282.
- Tinkler, B. (2010). Reaching for a Radical Community-Based Research Model. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 3, 2, 5-19.
- Uhrmacher, B. & Tinkler, B. (2008). Engaging Learners and the Community Through the Study of Monuments. International Journal of Leadership in Education: Theory & Practice, 11, 3, 225-238.
- Uhrmacher, B. & Tinkler, B. (2007, Summer Online). A Monumental Curriculum. Educational Leadership, 64.
- Tinkler, A., Tinkler, B., Gerstl-Pepin, C., & Mughisa, V. (2011). Building a Foundation for Infusing Social Justice Service-Learning in a Teacher Education Program. Session presentation at the National Association for Multicultural Education (NAME) annual conference, Chicago, IL. November 2-5, 2011.
- Hannah, c.l., Tinkler, B., & Miller, E. (2011). Critical Service Learning for Social Justice in Pk-12 and Teacher Education Classrooms. Session presentation of book chapters at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), New Orleans, LA. April 8-12, 2011.
- Tinkler, B., hannah, c.l, & Miller, E. (2011). Using a Social Justice Service-Learning Field Experience to Strengthen the Argument for Social Foundations Coursework. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), New Orleans, LA. April 8-12, 2011.
- Tinkler, B. (2010). The Impact of Modeling on Beliefs about Teaching Social Studies. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), Denver, CO. April 30-May 4, 2010.
- Tinkler, B., Miller, E., & hannah, c.l. (2009). Reaching for Social Justice Through Service-Learning. Paper presented at the American Association for Teaching and Curriculum Conference (AATC), Arlington, VA. October 2, 2009.
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Practicum in Teaching: Secondary Education; Teaching for Results; Teaching Internship; Teaching Social Studies in Secondary Schools
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from The University of Denver
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), American Educational Research Association (AERA), National Association for Multicultural Education, Phi Alpha Theta