The core of this project is the Rock the GRADES toolkit based on the evidence-informed strategies developed by Joan Rock, a Vermont child welfare resource coordinator (RC) and a team of representatives from education, courts, and child welfare in 2006.
Rock the GRADES key elements:
- G: Generate multi-disciplinary networks in child welfare, educational, court systems and partnering agencies.
- R: Recruit & retain foster families in school districts with high rates of foster care placements.
- A: Access transportation to increase educational stability.
- D: Data collection and use across disciplines to identify needs and track progress.
- E: Educate local communities on importance of educational stability for youth in foster care.
- S: Screen youth in foster care for educational stability and well-being.
Goal 1: Refine and implement the evidence-informed intervention and toolkit Rock the GRADES. Through an iterative process of development, testing, and revision, VT-FUTRES will create the Rock the GRADES intervention and toolkit.
Goal 2: Build local multi-disciplinary capacity to improve educational stability and academic achievement for middle and high school youth in foster care. VT-FUTRES will offer discrete trainings and outreach during the two-year grant that will lay the foundation for sustainable workforce development infrastructure.
Goal 3: Facilitate the cross-system collection and use of data on educational stability and outcomes of youth in foster care. VT-FUTRES will leverage efforts from initiatives in child welfare, education, and courts to build infrastructure capacity for data collection and dissemination.
Goal 4: Engage youth in sharing their experiences to positively influence infrastructure development around educational stability. Create regional youth leadership teams empowered to review local and national work on educational stability and share their educational experiences through outlets such as video and social media.
Last modified February 21 2013 10:12 AM