University of Vermont

The Center on Disability and Community Inclusion (CDCI)


Overview: Secondary Transition

Transition Services Prepare Students For Adulthood
Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), transition planning from school to adult life begins, at the latest, during high school.  Transition planning is required, by law, to start once a student reaches 16 years of age, or younger, if appropriate. This transition planning becomes formalized as part of the student's Individualized Education Program (IEP).

Transition services are intended to prepare students to make the transition from the world of school to the world of adulthood. In planning what type of transition services a student needs to prepare for adulthood, the IEP team must first consider areas such as vocational training, community employment and post secondary education for the student. If the IEP team thinks that independent living and community participation are appropriate for a student then these areas should also be considered.

The transition services themselves are a coordinated set of activities that are based on an individual transition assessment that identifies the student's needs, preferences and interests. The resources we've listed below will help you learn more about transition --- what the law requires, what information a typical transition plan contains and how transition plans are developed.
One Stop Shopping:
Everything You Need To Know About Transition!
For everything you need to know about writting transition goals and plans that are done correctly. Download the "Tower of Babel" presentation below:

Vermont Department of Education Secondary Transition Consultants

Michael Ferguson
(802) 828-5110

John Spinney
(802) 828-5127

Last modified October 14 2014 10:36 AM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131