University of Vermont

The Center on Disability and Community Inclusion (CDCI)


Quick Facts Logo

Quick Facts about the I-Team for Families and Guardians

Click here to download a pdf of "Quick Facts for Families and Guardians"

What is the Vermont I-Team?

The Vermont I-Team is an interdisciplinary team of Educational Consultants, Related Services Consultants, and Family Resources Consultants.

Return to Top

What does the Vermont I-Team do?

The Vermont I-Team provides consultation, technical assistance and training to IEP teams of students with intensive needs (including autism spectrum disorders) that are referred for services.

Return to Top

How does a referral happen?

A referral form must be completed each year by the student's school case manager, and then signed by a school administrator and the student's parent/guardian before services can begin.

Return to Top

Can a family ask for a referral?

School team case managers typically make referrals to the I-Team. Families who are interested in I-Team services for their child can ask their school team to make a referral. I-Team services are provided in partnership with school/early intervention teams and families.

Return to Top

What is the role of the Educational and Related Services Consultants?

I -Team Consultants work with the student’s team in providing technical assistance and/or training around topics in a variety of areas that include:

  • Inclusion
  • IEP development
  • Assistive technology
  • Supporting communication
  • Specialized instruction
  • Transition planning
  • Positive Behavioral Intervention Supports
  • Deaf-blindness/Dual Sensory Impairment
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Literacy
  • Cortical Visual Impairment

Please note: I-Team Regional Educational Consultants work in collaboration with the student’s team to assess and determine how to best support the student and team, including support that may be needed from I-Team Related Services Consultants.

Return to Top

What is the role of the Family Resources Consultant?

Family Resources Consultants are available to assist families in a variety of ways, including:

  • Review of the special education process (i.e. IEP, Evaluation Plan & Report, etc.)
  • Help with accessing available resources (local, state and national)
  • Attending meetings and appointments (when requested)
  • Providing information about workshops, trainings and conferences
  • Family support from birth to 21, including transition to adulthood

All Family Resources Consultants are parents of a child, youth, or young adult with special needs and have a wealth of knowledge to share with other parents/guardians.

How do I contact my Family Resources Consultant?

Families are welcome to contact their Family Resources Consultant by email or telephone.

Family Resources Consultants
Northwest Jolene Blanchard
Tel: 802-233-2555
Northeast Paula J. Manzi
Tel: 802-895-4529
Central Tammy Willey
Tel: 802-734-8312
Southern Donna Gillen
Tel: 802-483-9473

Return to Top

Click here to learn more about your Family Resources Consultants: Meet your Family Resources Consultant

Last modified October 28 2015 12:21 PM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131