The Certificate of Graduate Studies in the Interdisciplinary Study of Disabilities
EDSP 274 Culture of Disability
Will be offered Fall 2015 & Spring 2016
Participants in Culture of Disability will explore the medical, social, cultural and political experience of disability though readings, fieldwork, and presentations. Topics covered include disability history and cultural meaning; rehabilitation: the medical model and beyond; self-help and social change movements; and explorations of disability narrative in art and literature.
Instructor: Deborah Lisi-Baker, Associate Director of the Center on Disability and Community Inclusion at the University of Vermont.
- Fall 2015 (online course)
- Spring 2016 (classroom course)
NOTE: This course meets requirements for:
- 3 credits toward UVM’s 6 credit Diversity requirement
- 3 credit elective for Minor in Special Education
- Core course in Certificate of Disability Studies