Community Development and Applied Economics
Edward McMahon Research Associate Professor
- EdD 2011 University of Vermont
- MA 1986 Boston University
- MA 1981 Johns Hopkins University
- BS 1978 Georgetown University
Areas of Expertise:
political change, democratic process, international affairs
Contact InformationOffice: 205 Morrill Hall
Edward McMahon has been a faculty member in CDAE since 2003 and has a joint appointment with the Political Science department. Prior to coming to CDAE, McMahon has spent decades as an analyst and practitioner in the dynamics of political change. He spent 10 years as a Foreign Service Officer with the US Department of State, specializing in African Affairs. And from 1989-1998, he served as Regional Director for East, Central, and West Africa at the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs. In 1999, McMahon moved into the academic world, with an appointment as Dean's Professor of Applied Politics and Director of the Center on Democratic Performance at Binghamton University (SUNY) prior to coming to UVM in 2003. McMahon co-authored Piecing a Democratic Quilt: Universal Norms and Regional Organizations (Kumerian Press, 2006), co-edited Democratic Institution Performance: Research and Policy Perspectives (Greenwood/Praeger, 2002), and served as contributing editor of the Political Handbook of the World (CSA Publications, 2003).
- CDAE 195: Evolving Trends in International Development
- CDAE 395: International Development NGO Management
Recent Papers and Presentations
- Africa's Big Men: Accident or Necessity? US Department of State Conference on Africa's Authoritarian Rulers. Washington, DC. July 17, 2007.
- Finding Common Ground? A comparative anaylsis of the Community of Democracies (CD) and International Conference of New and Restored Democracies (ICNRD) participation and recommendations. Report prepared for the UN Office of the Under-Secretary General for Political Affairs and the Office of Democracy and Governance, United Nations Development Program. March-May 2007.
- NGO and Political Party Engagement in the Electoral Process. Rabat, Morocco (US embassy via videoconference). April 2007.
- Regional Organizations and the Community of Democracies. United Nations Development Program Seminar titled Democracy and Development: Poverty as a Challenge to Democratic Governance. Bamako, Mali. March 2007.
- Piecing a Democratic Quilt: Regional organizations and universal norms. Society for International Development. Ottawa, Canada. March 2007.
Download CSO Recommendations Excel Database:
- Jane Kolodinsky, Chair
- Lisa Aultman-Hall
- Jay Ashman
- Daniel Baker
- David Conner
- Thomas Desisto
- Chris Evans
- Joshua Farley
- Charles Ferreira
- Diane Gayer
- Sarah Heiss
- Shoshanah Inwood
- Christopher Koliba
- Jonathan Leonard
- Chyi-Lyi (Kathleen) Liang
- Edward McMahon
- Bob Parsons
- Thomas Patterson
- Jane Petrillo
- Fred Schmidt
- Tao Sun
- Qingbin Wang
- Richard Watts
- Asim Zia