The Path to Dental School
Dentistry as a Career:
Dentistry is an excellent profession for those individuals who aspire to a career with direct patient care responsibilities and who also possess a unique combination of talents: interpersonal skill, business acumen and outstanding manual dexterity. There are two equivalent degrees offered by dental schools: DDS or DMD degree. Many dental school graduates move directly from professional school into general dentistry practice. Others go on to residency and/or fellowship training. Dental specialties include: Pediatrics; Endodontics, Orthodontics Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Pubic Health and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Pathology or Radiology. Learn more about the DDS / DMD pathways:
- Explore the website of the American Dental Education Association (ADEA), the professional organization that represents the 66 accredited schools in the US & Puerto Rico and 10 accredited schools in Canada.
- Review the individual school websites by following the link to each that the ADEA provides.
- Consider purchasing the most recent copy of the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools (you are also welcome to preview this book in the waiting area of The Career Center)
- Consider downloading the ADEA Dental School Explorer (~$25) to your computer, tablet or smart phone.
Learn More About the Path to Dental School:
- Major Choice
- Academic Preparation
- Beyond Academics
- Applying to Dental School
- Paying for Dental School
- Acceptance Rates
- Where UVM Grads Go
Last modified November 08 2018 11:09 AM