Preparation and Tips for the Job Fair
Before the Job Fair
- See who’s coming to the fair & identify the organizations you want to connect with
- Research the companies and opportunities that you’re most interested in
- Polish your resume to bring to the fair
- Prepare your elevator speech
- Think of the questions that you want to ask
- What do you enjoy about working at Company XYZ? Can you tell me about the culture?
- What types of jobs or internships are available?
- What are you looking for in a strong candidate?
- I’m very interested in this position. How do I follow up?
Create good questions that show you’ve done your research
At the Job Fair
- Dress professionally
- Bring your resume on quality resume paper
- Be curious and considerate
- Have as many conversations as you can
- Practice asking questions and gathering information
- Recognize that other students want to connect with the recruiters as well
- Connect with employers & collect information
- Collect business cards and information so that you can follow up later
- Tell recruiters about yourself and why you’re interested in the company/position
- Ask thoughtful questions and learn about the recruitment process
- Show your interest and enthusiasm
After the Job Fair
- Reflect on your conversations and evaluate which organizations you’re most interested in
- Follow up with recruiters. Send a thank you note and resume & cover letter to those who interest you
Last modified February 20 2013 04:39 PM