Posted on April 29, 2011 with No Comments
Still looking for that perfect summer internship but not really finding the “ right” internship in those guides and on-line postings? Maybe it’s time to look at this a little differently! You don’t need to find and internship that already exists— you can create one! As you may know, as many as 80% of all jobs are found through networking. That same approach can be helpful with the internship search—and it’s a great skill to develop.
So, how would this work in locating an internship? Let’s say you are interested in an internship in marketing and public relations, but haven’t landed anything with the big New York firms. How might you connect with the PR world?
First. think about Burlington. We have some wonderful marketing and PR firms right here. Even if they haven’t listed an internship this semester, they might be willing to consider someone to work on a particular project, if approached. Every business has projects that they never have time to get to—you could help solve this problem. Your process? Use Catamount Job Link to identify some possible firms of interest and then talk with a career counselor, your faculty, and friends about how you might make a connection with them to see if they would consider an intern. Dress rehearse how you will make a case for yourself as an intern.
Not planning to be in Burlington? Think about other networks that could help you with this same entrepreneurial process. You are really trying to “ sell” someone on the benefits of having an intern for the summer. UVM’s alumni Career Connection can be a great resource for this networking –both in Vermont and all across the country. Career Counselors and faculty can provide additional resources. Don’t neglect family, friends and even families of friends. Start building that network—it will serve you well in the search later.
Finally, be imaginative. Where else does PR and marketing happen? Who markets those summer events in the park? Who is doing the PR for that political candidate/ you are looking to gain experience and build skills. Think outside the box and you may think yourself into the best internship ever!
Tags: advice, alumni, burlington, career connection, Catamount Job Link, how to, internship search, Internships, tips
Category: Career Exploration, Catamount Job Link, Internships, Networking
Posted on March 30, 2011 with No Comments
Thank you for helping make our Spring Job Fair a great success! Employers were impressed with the level of professional dress and discourse.
If you missed it, check out all the employers that were just here hoping to connect with UVM students and grads.
Assess how the fair went for you and which businesses you want to follow up with.
Follow up with recruiters! Check out these tips for professional e-mails.
Prepare yourself for interview success!
Didn’t see what you were looking for?
Check out Catamount Job Link
Explore Resources for Specific Job Fields
Network your way to a great opportunity! Check out our other blog posts on Networking.
Stop by during Career Services Drop In Hours to speak with a Career Counselor: Mon-Thurs: 1-4pm, L/L E140
Tags: advice, career path, Catamount Job Link, Employers, etiquette, events, how to, Job Fair, job search, Networking, On Campus Recruiting, your first job
Category: Event, Job Searching, Networking
Posted on February 8, 2011 with No Comments
Did you know that Catamount Job Link has a great feature that helps you create your resume? All you need to do is log into your Catamount Job Link account and follow the steps below:
- Click on the “Documents” tab at the top of your homepage.
- Click on the “Resume Builder” tab
- At the bottom of the page, click on the “Create a Resume” button.
Resume Builder will take you step by step in building a professional resume without the hassles of formatting the page. Your document will be submitted to Career Services for review, and then we will send our feedback via email. All resumes will be reviewed and accepted or recommended revisions will be sent to you within two business days. After revisions are made, you can then re-submit your resume for approval. Please plan ahead for employer deadlines.
Once it’s approved, you will have a resume that can be used for applying to jobs within Catamount Job Link and beyond. If you have any questions, come visit us during our Drop-In hours, M-Th., 1-4pm or attend our Resume Jumpstart on Mondays at 4:15pm.
Posted on January 24, 2011 with No Comments
Welcome back to campus!
We hope you had a restful semester break. Here at Career Services, we’re looking forward to a busy semester of career development–events, on-campus recruiting, and our ongoing career counseling. Here are a few dates to keep in mind:
- Wilderness Ventures is looking for Trip Leaders to work with students ages 12-20 on trips in the U.S. and worldwide. They will be on campus interviewing on February 8th, see position descriptions on Catamount Job Link.
- DraftFCB Chicago, a marketing and communications firm, will be conducting on-campus interviews via skype on February 10th for Assistant Media Planners, Assistant Account Executives, and Interns. Applications are due via Catamount Job Link on January 25th.
- University Directories is looking for paid interns for its sales and marketing program, and will be on campus on February 11th. Apply via Catamount Job Link.
- GE’s Financial Management Program is seeking Interns to work nationwide. Applications are due on February 7th, with interviews to take place on February 11th. For application instructions, search for position #2268 on Catamount Job Link.
- Senior Speed Career Workshop: February 8th, 5pm, Davis Center Sugar Maple Ballroom. Going to graduate? Don’t leave college without learning a few fundamentals about the job search. This event is specifically for seniors and includes three 20-minute rotations through introductory career workshops covering topics on: resumes and cover letters, interview preparation, and networking during the job search. It’s a fun, interactive way of learning how you can prepare for your job search. This event is co-sponsored by the Senior Class Council and Career Services.
- Vermont Alumni Networking Event: March 22nd, 6pm, Davis Center Grand Maple Ballroom. Connect with UVM alumni in Vermont representing a variety of career fields. Attend a resume workshop, gather advice from an alumni panel and connect one-on-one with professionals in your field of interest.
- Spring Job Fair: March 23rd, 2-5pm, Davis Center 4th Floor. Join us for the Spring Job Fair!
- Resume Jumpstart: Monday, 4:15pm, L/L E
- Market Yourself to Get Hired: Tuesday, 4:15 pm, L/L E
- Drop-in Career Counseling: Monday-Thursday, 1-4pm during the semester
Have a great semester, and we hope to see you soon!
Posted on December 20, 2010 with No Comments
Have you logged in to Catamount Job Link yet? Catamount Job Link is UVM’s complete recruiting system for internships, full-time, part-time, and summer jobs. Here are a few ways to get the most out of Catamount Job Link:
- Login and update your profile. Note that current students log in using their netID and password from this page. Alumni can request accounts by clicking on the Alumni button on that page. Keeping your profile updated with your contact information and career interests will help keep you informed about upcoming events and opportunities that fit your interests.
- Search for jobs and internships. If you have a specific position in mind (for example from our weekly email or the Career Services homepage’s New on Catamount Job Link), you can search by posting ID number–just type it in the search box on the top right of your CJL homepage after logging in. You can also search by choosing “Catamount Jobs” under the “Job Postings” option at the top of the screen.
- Learn about Employers by clicking on “Employers” at the top of the screen. You can search employer profiles to see company websites, descriptions, and contact information for when you’re ready to start networking.
- Set up automated email alerts to let you know when a job you might be interested in is posted. Check out our step-by-step instructions on how to set up these alerts.
- Upload your resume so you’ll be ready to apply for positions. To upload your resume click on “Documents” and then the “Add New” button. If you are looking to create a resume, use the Resume Builder to help you create a draft.
- Keep an eye out for upcoming events and on-campus recruiting visits including information sessions and on-campus interviewing. You can apply for positions and schedule interviews right in Catamount Job Link!
- Connect to Facebook for event reminders, interview sign-ups, and job alerts. Click on “Connect to Facebook” on the top right when you first log in to CJL.
How are you using Catamount Job Link?