Posted on February 17, 2012 with No Comments
Jeremy Lin knows what it’s like to struggle in a job search. The 23 year-old point guard in the National Basketball Association (NBA) was drafted by and then let go from 2 other teams before landing a spot on the New York Knicks roster. Even then, as a fourth-string point guard on a team of big-name players, his chances of seeing any time on the court were doubtful. Then, it happened; and he’s been setting records ever since.
Lin’s story has insights to offer beyond how to connect that field goal in the final seconds of a tied game to take home the victory. His story is transferable to anyone pursuing a job or career path.
This article from Forbes highlights some of the key aspects of Lin’s driving forces that have brought him to where he is now:
1. Believe in yourself when no one else does.
2. Seize the opportunity when it comes up.
3. Your family will always be there for you, so be there for them.
4. Find the system that works for your style.
5. Don’t overlook talent that might exist around you today on your team.
6. People will love you for being an original, not trying to be someone else.
7. Stay humble.
8. When you make others around you look good, they will love you forever.
9. Never forget about the importance of luck or fate in life.
10. Work your butt off.
No matter where you are at in your own career journey, consider these tips as inspirations to push forward toward your dreams.