Posted on December 2, 2010 with No Comments
Need more ideas on what to do after graduation? Thinking about an internship in a big city? Talk with UVM alumni who were once in your shoes – and found success.
Tips for Networking Success:
• Wear name tag on your right side so that it is easily seen when you are shaking hands.
• Ask open ended questions like, “Tell me about your…”
• Don’t monopolize time, but DO get permission to follow up by phone or email.
• Focus on quality of connections over quantity
• Write a comment or conversation piece on the back of each person’s business card to help you remember who you talked to and how you can follow up
• Thank your contacts: Send a thank you e-mail or note promptly. This shows professionalism, and helps them to remember you.
• Remember networking should be beneficial to all parties: If you can offer a resource or connection, do so, and don’t forget to follow through.
Looking for more advice, sample questions and emails, and a tracking sheet? Check out our website’s Networking pages.