Posted on November 21, 2013 with No Comments
‘So much to do and so little time to do it!” This could be the slogan for these times with endless deadlines, constant connection, and the relentless question: “so what are you going to do with your degree?”
Yes, there are many steps to take in your career action plan. Experience + career + experience + networking + experience… And yet, we also need a sense of our own value & values to guide us or else the steps are scattered and become merely check-offs on a to-do list.
To steer the course of your own life, pay attention to intention! A goal is something you want to achieve. An intention is the way you want to live your life. For example:
Goal: Get a job. Intention: Do meaningful work in the world. Intentions express what guides you through your daily actions in support of small and big goals.
Here are five ways to claim your direction:
- Clarify: What matters? People? Issues? Doing your best? Giving back? Paying forward?
- Focus: Keep your intention in mind as you move through each day.
- Activate; Take daily actions that demonstrate your commitment & intention.
- Share: Talk with others about what drives you to find others with which you can work.
- Acknowledge: Express your gratitude for people and interactions that support you, your intention and your career/life pathway.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver